Welcome To aBlackWeb

Parental Requirements Pt 1: Higher Learning

Should Parents Be Required To Pay For College

• Total voters
are parents required? no

but

If my child is responsible; has a great history in school (great grades and shows good study habits) then yes, we would be willing to help them through college.

Free ride them? No. They would need to have a job and do their part in being finically responsible.

anything outside these requirements is a no-go

Maybe this question is a thread within itself.

I just read @DOS_patos thread on those twins getting a 1mill in scholarships and they want to go to school to become nurses. Good profession.

I think it was a thread on the IC that asked are parents obligated or required to pay for their kids to go to college. I was one of a few people who said it wasn't a requirement for parents to pay for their kids to go to college.

I think nursing is a good and respectable profession.... but I ain't about to pay for 4 years of college for my kid or kids to become a nurse. That's too big of an expense for such a career IMO.

So for those here who feel it's a requirement for parents to pay for their kids college. Does your kids choice of major/profession factor into you being willing to pay for college?

The bolded is interesting. What careers WOULD you feel comfortable paying for your kid to go to college for? And what kind of income would need to be attached to that?

The reason I ask is that, and maybe this is just out in Cali where I live, nurses are really well-paid out here. Like...coming out of nursing school immediately making 100k+. That's more than certain other professions that parents seem to be ok paying for their kid to get an education to pursue.

The bolded is interesting. What careers WOULD you feel comfortable paying for your kid to go to college for? And what kind of income would need to be attached to that?

The reason I ask is that, and maybe this is just out in Cali where I live, nurses are really well-paid out here. Like...coming out of nursing school immediately making 100k+. That's more than certain other professions that parents seem to be ok paying for their kid to get an education to pursue.
but whats the cost of living looking like tho

Required is a strong ass word.

Personally I would want to pay for my kids to go to college.

One reason I work so hard is so my kids could finish college without student loans. But thats a personal choice.

It doesnt have to be the entire amount but half or even a quarter is better than nothing at all.

What fool wants their children drowning in student loan debt.

Back