True Connections

PRAISE: Ava DuVernay’s Origin may be her most effective and memorable movie yet. The story based on Isabel Wilkerson's landmark book to frame the conversation about segregation and inequality on a global scale and the raw emotion coupled with it.
The movie is effective with a capital E the performances from the cast are so true and down to Earth so praise to the cast including: Aunjanue Ellis-Taylor, Jon Bernthal, Niecy Nash-Betts, Emily Yancy, Blair Underwood and Vera Farmiga.
The movie truly displays how love and friendship can defy any hurdles the pain and power of racism may have.
The visuals are soul stirring and then some. Some are very triggering. When the film turns to Allison and Elizabeth Davis, Black anthropologists who saw first-hand the book burning in Nazi Germany and White anthropologists Burleigh and Mary Gardner and their brave and then some undercover work it was an eye opening revelation to me and I definitely want to read their book Deep South. The film reveals how some connections were for the good in the research of racism and how some studies and connections were sinister.
The film is so many things,part family drama and lecture with a bit of a documentary vibe blended in and it really works for the most part.

PROBLEMS: I would have liked to have spent more time with certain characters that inhabit the film instead of long dwelling shots of humiliation. Some parts of the movie are to on the nose and blatant.

Scale of 1 to 10 an 8½