Welcome To aBlackWeb

Nas Owns Jay's Publishing (According To MC Serch)

Wait you mean Jay sampled Nas’s voice on the song and Nas owns 50% of it?????

View attachment 965640

That was the deal for that particular song.

On any given song, there's 200% when it comes to publishing: 100% for the writer, 100% for the producer. What Serch did was took $2500 for the clearance, but went to the publishing company and said, "for this sample, we want 50% of the songwriter's publishing". So, while the producer still gets his 100% (assuming Lonnie Liston Smith didn't take a cut or all of it himself because of the "Garden of Peace" sample), Jay only gets 50% of the songwriting pubs for that song and Nas gets the remaining 50%.

It was a slick deal, but yeah Serch hooked it up for Nas. Every time that song is played out or performed, Nas get a cut of the pubs that gets collected.

Pete Rock said he only got a one time check but no royalties at all since Illmatic dropped.

They never worked after The World is yours tho. Until Lost tapes 2. I wonder why lol

Kinda late 2 sue Nas for it. Aint it?

Last edited:
Pete Rock said he only got a one time check but no royalties at all since Illmatic dropped.

They never worked after The World is yours tho. Until Lost tapes 2. I wonder why lol

Kinda late 2 sue Nas for it. Aint it?

One of the GOATs and my personal favs next Preemo but Pete be on certified f-boi time
From what comes out since then, it's been revealed the reason he only got one check, is because Pete always took his payment up front without securing publishing/royalties rights. Funk Flex aired him out something terrible

Back