Welcome To aBlackWeb

My son wants to play ice hockey

grYmes

The price of a brick goin up…
Ok, so my oldest son is 14. He’s decently tall for his age (5’9 and still growing) and pretty fast. He’s never really expressed interest in wanting to play sports before. He doesn’t mind football and soccer and he likes running but not once has he expressed any interest in actually playing. Today we went to a youth hockey game my daughter’s friend was playing in. It was our first time going to any hockey game period and it was pretty fun. My son and I got in the car while my daughter was hanging out with her friends after the game and he straight up asked me if he could play.

I was amazed. He’s never been so determined to want to play something. For it to be ice hockey is even more crazy. I’ve passingly watched a game if the Capitals were playing and doing good or a highlight here or there but I’m not a huge hockey fan. As skeptical as I am that it’s a passing thing I’m willing to just put up some money for skating lessons and see how it goes. This happen with any of y’all with kids (not specifically with hockey)? This just came out the blue lol.

That sport is so damn expensive.

But it’s hard to find leagues for highs school boys

Yea it is. I remember I wanted to get into hockey when I was a kid & that was when the Mighty Ducks was a thing. My mom couldn’t afford that shit and damn sure wasn’t an ice rink close to our hood. They got youth & high school leagues out here tho.

Ok, so my oldest son is 14. He’s decently tall for his age (5’9 and still growing) and pretty fast. He’s never really expressed interest in wanting to play sports before. He doesn’t mind football and soccer and he likes running but not once has he expressed any interest in actually playing. Today we went to a youth hockey game my daughter’s friend was playing in. It was our first time going to any hockey game period and it was pretty fun. My son and I got in the car while my daughter was hanging out with her friends after the game and he straight up asked me if he could play.

I was amazed. He’s never been so determined to want to play something. For it to be ice hockey is even more crazy. I’ve passingly watched a game if the Capitals were playing and doing good or a highlight here or there but I’m not a huge hockey fan. As skeptical as I am that it’s a passing thing I’m willing to just put up some money for skating lessons and see how it goes. This happen with any of y’all with kids (not specifically with hockey)? This just came out the blue lol.
do you as a parent have any concerns or reservations about your son being a target on the ice???.... your son would be part of the 1% out there.

Cool

my advice to you, don't be like Earl Woods. School him on the environment he's entering and how to move accordingly in it

do you as a parent have any concerns or reservations about your son being a target on the ice???.... your son would be part of the 1% out there.

I’ve definitely had these thoughts. We are gonna have this talk at some point. Right now he just wants to have fun but if it get to a point where he’s legit on a team the conversation will be had.

Back