Welcome To aBlackWeb

#Moechella....real shit went on in The District

Mister B.

The Devil’s Greatest Advocate…..
Bout time Chocolate City did SOMETHING to voice themselves against the gentrifiers.

This is cool.

I really want to know what the end game for gentrification and the subsequent resistance is. On one hand, we all know the problems that come along with gentrification. On the other hand, there is no question that some of those areas are improved in a number of ways as they are gentrified. There has to be a balance, but I'm not sure what it is. There should be some compromise possible. I feel like the black people in those areas would be willing to hear out and work with the white people that move into those areas for the sake of peace, but a lot of those white people that move in are the most entitled douchiest people you can imagine, so that's basically out.

This is cool.

I really want to know what the end game for gentrification and the subsequent resistance is. On one hand, we all know the problems that come along with gentrification. On the other hand, there is no question that some of those areas are improved in a number of ways as they are gentrified. There has to be a balance, but I'm not sure what it is. There should be some compromise possible. I feel like the black people in those areas would be willing to hear out and work with the white people that move into those areas for the sake of peace, but a lot of those white people that move in are the most entitled douchiest people you can imagine, so that's basically out.
The problem is that once an area is gentrified, ain't many blacks left. The landlords sell to the developers then either let the tenants lease expire or raise the rent so they can't afford it.

Just another reason we need to own and stop renting. That's hard as fuck though when the chips are already stacked against you.

The problem is that once an area is gentrified, ain't many blacks left. The landlords sell to the developers then either let the tenants lease expire or raise the rent so they can't afford it.

Just another reason we need to own and stop renting. That's hard as fuck though when the chips are already stacked against you.

That's not really true. There is always a point during gentrification where you basically have comparable amounts on both sides. That's kinda where DC is at. And owning doesn't help you as much as you think. Lots of black people owned in the past and got kicked out anyway because of Imminent Domain.

That's not really true. There is always a point during gentrification where you basically have comparable amounts on both sides. That's kinda where DC is at. And owning doesn't help you as much as you think. Lots of black people owned in the past and got kicked out anyway because of Imminent Domain.
But it was all black before. And what happens to the blacks that have been there for generations? That's the concern.

But it was all black before. And what happens to the blacks that have been there for generations? That's the concern.

They get pushed to the side. Like I said before, there is a bad side to gentrification and we know about it. What I was saying that there has to be a way to curb it somehow. Like having the city raise taxes a little on those developers and then apply that money to helping some of the native residents keep their living space.

They get pushed to the side. Like I said before, there is a bad side to gentrification and we know about it. What I was saying that there has to be a way to curb it somehow. Like having the city raise taxes a little on those developers and then apply that money to helping some of the native residents keep their living space.

They might have to take a cue from New York and initiate some form of rent control.

Don't understand the specifics of it, but........in general.......they require a certain percentage of rental units in the city to be allocated to low income people.

Not like Section 8 either.

This is something that's just specific to New York.

Some old people have lived in certain apartments for decades that they wouldn't have been able to afford otherwise.

Back