Welcome To aBlackWeb

MEET THE BRITISH WOMAN CREATING WATERPROOF SCARVES FOR BLACK SWIMMERS

DOS_patos

Unverified Legion of Trill member
According to the USA Swimming Foundation, roughly 64% of black children have little to no swimming ability. While this statistic reinforces stereotypes about black people and swimming, there are myriad reasons for this particular skill deficit, including racial segregation dating back to Jim Crow laws.

But even when pools are available, another detractor is our hair. While swim caps are an option for some, most do not accommodate Afro texture hair which is usually too thick for the cap and doesn’t protect it fully.

For 38-year-old Danielle Obe, living in London, she wanted to find a way to encourage her daughter to learn how to swim. Six-year-old Kayla began to dread going to the pool because of her hair; Obe had given up on swimming for over two decades because she did not want to risk damaging her fragile coils. She told Metro UK that she was tired of the time-consuming routine when it came to her hair.

“The chlorine dries out the hair, causing it to be frizzy, brittle and ‘thirsty,’ which is what causes breakage, hair thinning, and—in some cases for women with processed, delicate hair—it falls off if the hair is not thoroughly washed out, conditioned, and rehydrated,” said Obe. “Getting into any type of aquatic activity then was a huge no-no. I couldn’t go swimming in the evening after work. If I did, how would I turn up for client meetings the next morning? Kayla hates getting soap in and around her face, so when it came time to wash her hair after swimming, she would scream and scream.”

This constant problem led her to create, Nemes, waterproof headscarves specially designed for black women’s hair.

Afro texture hair is more fragile than other types of hair and is specifically more vulnerable to chemicals in the chlorine found in swimming pools that makes hair drier. The time it takes to replace that moisture after swimming and styling can be very off-putting for black women looking to swim on a frequent basis. Obe and her daughter decided to experiment with different swim caps and nothing worked. It was through trial and error that led Obe to create something of her own.

Obe invented her swim caps, based on ancient Egyptian designs, to protect all hair types in the water. Now her entire family uses them. She also created the Black Swimming Association in partnership with Swim England after a recent report from Sport England revealed that 95% of black adults and 80% of black children living in the United Kingdom do not go swimming.

“After I created the design, I began sharing it with people. My aim was to encourage more people to go swimming, but we have also found many people use them in the shower, or to re-hydrate their hair,” she said. “The Nemes can be used by everyone, not just BAME [black, Asian and minority ethnic] people, to swim, steam, spa or shower, and protect color-treated hair in chlorine water so hair color lasts longer, and most especially, designed for Afro-Caribbean hair and hairstyles.’

The headscarves are currently available for pre-order and will go on sale this spring.

this is a great idea.

man...i know hella dudes who got mad they took they chick to the beach and she not get in the water cuz she got her hair done.
I finally convinced my wife to get her hair done after vacation.

took like 5 yrs

Swimming-1-a162.jpg

Woman designs waterproof headscarf to encourage more black people to go swimming

But now, a British inventor has created a unique waterproof headscarf designed to protect Afro hair, in a bid to encourage more black people to go swimming. Danielle Obe, 38 from London, came up with the idea for the headscarves – called Nemes – after her daughter Kayla, now six, began to dread going in the pool. She herself had previously given up swimming for two decades because she did not want to risk damage to her hair. Afro hair can be damaged by the chemicals in swimming pools because it is often naturally drier and more brittle – and the time it can take to moisturise and style hair after swimming can be really offputting.

Black women are being targeted with ‘disgusting’ misogynoir in online gaming forums ‘Natural Afro hair grows up and out, not down in length like Caucasian hair,’ says Danielle. Danielle designed the scarves to help her daughter feel confident swimming .

‘The chlorine dries out the hair, causing it to be frizzy, brittle and “thirsty”, which is what causes breakage, hair thinning and – in some cases for women with processed, delicate hair – it falls off if the hair is not thoroughly washed out, conditioned and rehydrated.’ Danielle herself gave up swimming because of how long it would take to style her hair after a dip. ‘Getting into any type of aquatic activity then was a huge no-no.

I couldn’t go swimming in the evening after work. If I did, how would I turn up for client meetings the next morning?’ she says. ‘Kayla hates getting soap in and around her face, so when it came time to wash her hair after swimming, she would scream and scream. ‘We have also found many people use them in the shower, or to rehydrate their hair’.

‘So one day I promised her we would find a solution, we would work together to create something that protected her hair.’ The pair experimented with different caps when swimming – doubling them up and trying out different brands – until Danielle realised she would need to create something herself. ‘I discovered that swimming caps were originally designed not to protect hair, or keep it from getting wet, but instead to streamline,’ she explains.

‘So I couldn’t find something to keep Kayla’s hair dry because the product was flawed to begin with.’ Danielle has also launched the Black Swimming Association

The headscarves Danielle invented are based on ancient Egyptian designs and will protect all hair types in the water. They are used by her entire family, including three-year-old Eliora and nine-year-old Zachary. Danielle has also launched the Black Swimming Association, alongside Team GB swimmer Alice Dearing, journalist Seren Jones, and musician and filmmaker Ed Accura, to run in partnership with Swim England. The charity, the first of its kind in the UK, aims to encourage more BAME people to go swimming, after figures from Sport England revealed 95% of black adults and 80% of black children do not go swimming, according to a survey taken over two years.

She also started the Black Swimming Association.

Water Safety . Life Saving and Drowning Prevention for BMEs

Who We Are
It's Time To Change The Narrative
Recent figures released by Sport England shows that 95% of black adults and 80% of black children in England do not
swim. Additional research also suggests that the risk of drowning is higher among ethnic minority communities. 3 out of 5 black adults CANNOT swim and 1 in 4 Children in the UK leave primary school (where swimming is a compulsory part of the national curriculum) still unable to swim. As you read this now, there's a high possibility you may know at least 5 people who CANNOT SWIM. 1 of these 5 people you know, could even be YOU!
The Black Swimming Association (BSA) is a non-profit organisation setup to
- Highlight the importance of learning to swim as an essential and invaluable life saving skill.
- Educate the black community on Water Safety, Life-Saving and Drowning Prevention Measures in Collaboration with other swimming charities and national governing bodies to ensure everyone - parents, children, YOU or your loved ones get the opportunity to learn to swim. Swimming can save lives.

We know that our strength lies in working together, to understand, overcome and break significant age-long barriers to swimming within the BME community. Only in collaborative partnership can we drive participation, engagement and inclusion for BMEs in aquatics. That is ultimately why we decided to launch the Black Swimming Association.

Partnering with national swimming bodies, Water Safety, Life-Saving and Drowning Prevention Institutes, the BSA plans to run campaigns and swim clinics in local communities with the aim to help save as many lives as possible by equipping the BME community with the relevant knowledge, skills and information on water safety. These campaigns will be introduced especially in primary schools in areas of the country with high Afro-Caribbean populations.The incentive would be to raise water safety awareness, educate on life-saving in an emergency, drowning prevention and the importance of learning how to swim.

Thats dope but the fact that hair being done prevents black women from swimming is sad shit
i think quite a few chicks cant swim but use hair as an excuse.

where im from in philly we didnt have too many pools and the pools we did have was so full you couldnt swim.

i didnt learn to swim until i was damn near 30. almost drown on my honeymoon. that day i said it would never happen again.
i got clowned for being old as fuck in the pool learning.....but at least i didnt let nothing stop me from learning.

*shrugs*

Been a like a fish to water since I was like 5-6. Always loved swimming.

Shit is embarrassing to see with black people. Being so scared to try.

Lock this stupid ass thread

White folk got yall thinking swimming is somehow a privilege when in reality it's a mediocre hobby at best

Lock this stupid ass thread

White folk got yall thinking swimming is somehow a privilege when in reality it's a mediocre hobby at best
lock your stupid ass up....

plus every year in philly kids die playing in the water in the schukill river.

f u up

Back