Welcome To aBlackWeb

COMMUNITY Masculinity & Violence (Particularly in the Black Community)

JUDAH

OG
I know this is a topic I've seen brought up in other threads as an off topic, but i think it's a conversation that can be good to have.

I was watching Hotboxing with Mike Tyson. Its a podcast where Mike Tyson and his co-host talk to guest about all konds of topics, while they smoke lol. But this episode he had Terry Cruise on it. They immediately get into what Terry considers "Toxic Masculinity". He talks about the abuse he and his mother suffered from his father growing up. And he mentions how he eventually beat his father up as an adult for hitting his mother. He also talks about the effects of witnessing domestic violence and how it shaped him.

This leads to Mike talking about his past. Based on what they said and what ive experienced, as a black man, we are almost forced to be agressive. And when i look back, its nothing more than a defense mechanisim. But we really dont discuss why it is the way it is nd how it affects our realtionships with others and our children.

The conversation starts within the first five minutes. If you have the time, listen to get perspective. But if not, just speak on personal experience and things you've witnessed.

Is it a real issue or not? If so, what can we do to fix it?

i think alot goes into this....
while we as men must be aggressive in certain situations....i also think we need to grow out of it.

we need better conflict resolution.

Back