Welcome To aBlackWeb

Marriage Isn’t A Goal For Most People Anymore

My 2 cents:

A lot of us were taught to believe that your relationship isn't truly complete...until you get married. But as I got older...for me...that's not really the case.

I use to think that i "needed" to get married to be fulfilled. Nowadays tho..thats not the case. My focus is to be fulfilled...despite not being married. So I don't really understand why there's a bad stigma towards people who DON'T wanna get married.

So I completely understand why some folks don't have any interest to do it.

My thing is, don't try to bash marriage if it ain't for you.

It's a lotta people who are still very happy in their marriages, just like there's people who are miserable.. But all those people are unique. Their experience is their own. As is yours. So if it ain't the thing for you.... That's fine, it's not the thing for you.

But don't sit there with a whole grocery list of negatives to justify it. Cuz again, it still works for many. 🤷🏿‍♂️

I don't really understand why there's a bad stigma towards people who DON'T wanna get married.
I also think that's projection. Cuz a vast majority of people this day and age would defend not getting married over anything. Love is not trendy... The hip thing today if to be single. Hence the whole purpose of video. To defend the right to be single.

There's no reason for YOU to get married. It's the most useless thing TO YOU.

Own your opinion. It's not marriage,....it's you. You have no use for marriage. That shit don't apply to everybody is what I'm saying.
That’s what I said

You didn't own it. You said it in a very general matter.

That's not saying it's not for you. Your statement is a very blanket statement that insinuates that it's common place for all.
Nah that jus the way you took it..

Like if there’s a thread about apples and someone says apples are nasty..no one jumps and be like..they nasty to you, but they’re not nasty to everyone. Well of course they aren’t. I was just saying I don’t like apples.

you jump to conclusions abit Du

It's a lotta people who are still very happy in their marriages, just like there's people who are miserable.. But all those people are unique. Their experience is their own. As is yours. So if it ain't the thing for you.... That's fine, it's not the thing for you.

But don't sit there with a whole grocery list of negatives to justify it. Cuz again, it still works for many. 🤷🏿‍♂️

True.

But from my experience...the same can be said about married folks bashing folks who aren't married. Which is why I brought up the whole stigma thing.

PLENTY or times I've gotten drilled about why I haven't gotten married. What am I waiting for. Etc. etc. So I've asked them "Take away the legality/paperwork...how is it any different from a long-term relationship?" Most of the responses I've gotten is along the lines of "join the club" type responses. No real answer.

So I think that's why now a lot of folks are saying "Well if we can do just about everything married folks can do (ie. kids...income...living together...being committed to each other)...then why do we need to get married? Just to have it legally paper?"

I think religion plays a big part of it as well. Growing up...a lot of us was raised to believe you had to get married if you get pregnant. Or shackin up a no no. Nowdays...it's seems like religion no longer holds that weight over folks heads. Folks either have their doubts or follow their own path.

Facts. Just like its a ton of misreable single mfers and a ton of happy single mfers.

Being married for 11 years, i don't knock anyone who doesn't wanna be married. I think it's very self aware to understand that about yourself. You gotta choose what works for you

I think marriage is still a goal for most people, it's just a goal deferred. People no longer feel like they failed in life because they aren't married by 30. I definitely agree with social media and dating apps changing how we date and communicate with one another.

Marriage and kids is still a goal for me

Though the older men get the more they're likely going to have to accept that they may have to be a stepdad as well

Back