Welcome To aBlackWeb

Let's Discuss New School Bias

5 Grand

Old School Godfather
People talk about Regional bias, as if certain regions have more influence than others, so media conglomerates might favor East Coast artists, or Southern Artists or West Coast artists or whatever.

But what about age bias? Many of these so-called "Greatest rapper of all time" lists are made by twenty somethings or thirty somethings that do not remember certain eras of Hip Hop.

If you are 30 years old can you really discuss which rappers made the biggest impact?

Can a person born in 1993 have a comprehensive understanding of the word "impact" if he cannot remember the transition from Grandmaster Flash & The Furious 5 era to Run DMC's era?

Is it possible to compare Melle Mel's impact to Drake? or is it impossible?

It's like a 15 year old comparing LeBron to MJ. The 15 year old doesn't remember the Bulls era.

This thread is inspired by the ABW top 50 rappers thread. Melle Mel isn't even listed.

The list was obviously compiled by people that do not remember Melle Mel's impact.

It does exist, but I don’t think ABW suffers from it. Most of the members who frequent this section of the site has a grasp of what all of the early legends did in the game and what some of the newer cats did.

Of course age is a factor and niggas are gonna be a little more bias to what they grew up on.

But tbh tho, I think a handful of earlier rappers have been getting the Quincy Jones treatment. We grew up hearing certain names brought up in goat discussions and their spots never moved.

But when you look back they only had 2-3 year windows where they were that nigga. While dudes like Kendrick or TI for example dropped heat for over a decade.

I think you can be in your 20s and 30s and appreciate the impact past artists have made. I know people in that range that do (shit I’m 36).

It does exist, but I don’t think ABW suffers from it. Most of the members who frequent this section of the site has a grasp of what all of the early legends did in the game and what some of the newer cats did.

Of course age is a factor and niggas are gonna be a little more bias to what they grew up on.

But tbh tho, I think a handful of earlier rappers have been getting the Quincy Jones treatment. We grew up hearing certain names brought up in goat discussions and their spots never moved.

But when you look back they only had 2-3 year windows where they were that nigga. While dudes like Kendrick or TI for example dropped heat for over a decade.

But that's my point, what Melle Mel did from 82-84 is greater than what Kendrick and T.I. did in a decade.

1. The Message - Platinum sales, inducted in Rock and Roll Hall of Fame
2. Appeared in Beat Street 1984 - 1st mainstream movie about Hip Hop
3. Won Best R&B song Grammy in 1984 for I Feel For You - Chaka Khan feat Melle Mel & performed at Grammys
4. Won Grammy for Back On The Block w/ Quincy Jones in 1990

Yeah he only had a 2-3 year window when he was that nigga, but he was the first rapper to be that nigga.

Some of the people on the list like Joe Budden or Big Krit never had the success that Melle Mel had.

But that's my point, what Melle Mel did from 82-84 is greater than what Kendrick and T.I. did in a decade.

3. Won Best R&B song Grammy in 1984 for I Feel For You - Chaka Khan feat Melle Mel & performed at Grammys

Yeah he only had a 2-3 year window when he was that nigga, but he was the first rapper to be that nigga.

Some of the people on the list like Joe Budden or Big Krit never had the success that Melle Mel had.

Nah fam. Kendrick has 16 Grammys, Multiple multi plat albums, etc. Same for T.I.

Melle has 1 solo album called Muscles that sold about 13 copies.

Its not bias its logic every person relates to the art of their own generation the most cause thats what you grow up with and thats what pulls you in

The older I got the more I went back to the history of hip hop and learned to appreciate the Rakims and Krs Ones

Still I will always connect to the albums of my youth like lets say Country Grammar then I can to It Takes A Million cause that shit dropped when I wasnt born yet

You niggas is OLD

imagine being 40 when Nelly/Ja/50/Lil John were outside

you gonna be like how y’all are now

that’s it

you’re just gonna identify and appreciate what you came up with and denounce the new stuff like people did back then

People are always gonna favor “their” generation over other ones because it’s more personal for them…..subjectivity always comes with a tint of bias

And art is very subjective

If you’re going to judge art forms OBJECTIVELY then the only thing you really can do is look at the impact of what those artists did regardless if you like them or not

I still think it’s fair to say hip hop in the past 10 years has been seriously regressive though

while he might of been the 1st of some things & should be honored

doesn't necessarily mean he was the best over time

like sayin the Wright Brothers got the best plane cuz they did it 1st

Nah fam. Kendrick has 16 Grammys, Multiple multi plat albums, etc. Same for T.I.

Melle has 1 solo album called Muscles that sold about 13 copies.
My point is that Melle Mel was the first to do what Kendrick did.

Rakim, LL, Kool G, BDK, KRS1 are all on the list...

I get it tho, you saw Budden but no Melly Mel...

giphy.webp

Where would you rank him?...

I think a big issue is that those old school artists either don't make anymore new music, or if they do it just isn't as good. Look at someone like Rakim, could probably still make a dope album but has only released one album in the last 20 years.

Back