Welcome To aBlackWeb

FEATURED Is The U.S Approaching Another Recession?

test

Goldie

Kobe With The Pivot
Site Owner
Markets have begun to fear the worst about a slowdown in the US, sending stocks tumbling across the world.

The S&P 500 fell 1.4 per cent yesterday and is down more than three per cent over the last three weeks, while the Nasdaq slumped 2.3 per cent and the smallcap Russell 2000 declined three per cent.

Japan was hit most by the fears, with the Nikkei index down 5.8 per cent, its worst performance since March 2020, while the wider Japanese Topix fell 6.1 per cent.

China’s Shanghai Stock Exchange index has dropped one per cent, while Australia’s ASX 200 fell over two per cent.

Europe has been similarly affected, with FTSE 100 falling 1.6 per cent since yesterday afternoon as fears about US weakness began to set in, while Europe’s Stoxx 600 is down 2.3 per cent from the same time.

“The prospect of the US experiencing an economic slump has far-reaching consequences, which is why stock markets were weak around the world on Friday,” Russ Mould, investment director at AJ Bell, said.

The trigger was the release of US purchasing manufacturer index data yesterday, showing that new orders in the country had declined for the first time in three months, while output growth slowed to a marginal pace.

Further fuel was poured on the fire for markets after another raft of poor results from the large US tech stocks.

Amazon’s stock plummeted seven per cent after market trading as their earnings report showed the e-commerce giant missing revenue estimates and issuing disappointing guidance for the third quarter.

Meanwhile, Intel dropped a whopping 19 per cent after revealing plans to cut over 15,000 jobs to “resize and refocus” its business.

While the tech results could be viewed in isolation, the poor earnings reports have mirrored wider fears in the market that the surprising strength of the US economy could be finally beginning to crumble.

Star stock Nvidia has been the largest victim of the ripple effect from this panic, dropping 6.7 per cent yesterday and down almost 20 per cent over the last three weeks.

“Corporate results are only the tip of the iceberg,” said Pierre Veyret, an analyst at Activtrades. “Indeed, many investors are losing confidence after the Fed held interest rates unchanged during the latest FOMC meeting earlier this week.”

Fears of a US slowdown, or even recession, have left markets hopeful that the Federal Reserve will finally begin to slash interest rates, despite inflation remaining at elevated levels.

Markets are now seeing a cut at every Fed meeting for the rest of the year, with a 32 per cent chance of one of those three being a 50 basis point cut, up from just seven per cent a week ago.

Odds of a 50 basis point cut at the Fed’s next meeting in September have also doubled, from 11.5 per cent to 27.5 per cent, according to data from CME Group.

“As usual, whenever uncertainty rises and confidence drops, investors tend to reduce their exposure to riskier assets and seek safety, which explains the current stock sell-off and increased appetite for treasuries,” said Veyret.

Indeed, US treasuries have rallied throughout the week, with the two-year yield falling to its lowest since May 2023 as markets move towards the safety of bonds and bet on the cuts from the Fed.

“The list of worry points for the market is growing. On top of geopolitical tensions between the West and China, ongoing Middle East violence and the US presidential election, we’ve now got recession fears and that will stoke debate over whether the Fed has acted too late with cutting interest rates,” Mould said

Shit man, ill take a recession.

Housing market crashing would be heaven. Im in the market for a house and I'm blessed to make good money so I'm looking at nice houses and shits gonna cost me like 7k a month. This is in North NJ. So 7k doesnt get you a castle. It gets you a 4-5 bedroom with 3 bathrooms and a nice backyard.

I can afford the 7k a month, but sheesh. If I ever get let go of my job, then Im fucked. I can get a job easily, but idk if I can get a job that pays as much as my current job.

So if you asking me, I'll take a recession. Crash the economy, let housing prices drop by about 30%, and then bring interest rates all the way the fuck down and let me buy that nice house for 5k a month.

Yes, eventually.

I don't listen to these so-called experts who can predict the day we will enter it, but it's not rocket science to see a recession coming.

after a inflation period a recession is around the corner to set thing from the fake inflation bullshit.

Get your money up people, grab a rental property or land when the prices on them tank. You made take a L for a year or two but when shit get right you'll be good.

Most of the world is basically heading towards or are right above the line of decline into a recession.

Earth ghetto. 🤷🏿‍♂️

In my opinion we’ve been in one the whole time, we pretty much been running off debt and money printing all these past four years.

Praise God I managed avoid the blood bath in the markets today and yesterday. I watched from the sidelines after making some profitable trades in the previous three weeks. 😬

No we’re not heading for a crash, More of a correction. If anything recession will be localized to mismanaged states/Cities IE Florida who allowed inflation to run rampant knowing the state wasn’t growing organically. It appears the business groups are leaning towards Dems-To Mainstay the current compromise in Congress vs whatever Change the republicans will implement. Markets usually get choppy as we head towards National Elections.

I know a ton of businesses in Healthcare we’re hoping to restructure on a fed rate cut which never came so we’re seeing some consolidation.

Something’s about to happen. I feel like my stocks have stalled the last few weeks after some significant gains. I’m tempted to cash out but I’ll give it a couple days. If the shits gonna happen then fuck it get it over with.

U.S. stocks fell sharply on Monday as part of a global market sell-off centered around U.S. recession fears. Japan’s Nikkei 225 plunged 12% in its worst day since the 1987 Black Monday crash for Wall Street.

The Dow Jones Industrial Average dropped 972 points, or 2.4%. The Nasdaq Composite lost 3.4%, and the S&P 500 slid 2.8%. The blue-chip Dow earlier fell as much as 1200 points.

Fears of a U.S. recession were the main culprit for the global market meltdown after Friday’s disappointing July jobs report. Investors are also concerned that the Federal Reserve is behind in cutting interest rates to bolster an economic slowdown, with the central bank choosing instead to keep rates at the highest in two decades last week.

At some point the rally was gonna end. Would've been better if the government wasn't so obsessed with a "soft landing" for election reasons. I don't think the doom and gloom is appropriate, though.

Salute, I hope you cash out bro.
I dont plan to cash out. I just added to my indexes and other holdings. Gonna hold em for a good while. Just had to buy on the dip cause I dont expect another -5% opening for a while, and the fed gonna now for sure drop interest so all od this will be recovered and way more by September.

Personally wouldnt mind more drops though.

The great thing is if the US does have a recession, it’s that if it does, and you are affected, you were doing better than you thought you were doing, and when things recover, you’ll go forward knowing that you were winning and have a restart point better than most people.

If you are not affected, you’ve been in a recession and your life will go on as it has been, you essentially are recession proof because you don’t have the assets to be affected by the winds. Imagine being in the ship below the deck. The winds in the sails don’t affect you.

And those above the deck won’t let the ship sink, so either way, you’re good. If you’re week to week in funds, life doesn’t change for you.

If you have savings, there’s a big chance you’ll end up week to week, if not month to month, if you were year to year, and that’s the only way any of this matters.

Something’s about to happen. I feel like my stocks have stalled the last few weeks after some significant gains. I’m tempted to cash out but I’ll give it a couple days. If the shits gonna happen then fuck it get it over with.
Assuming you're financially stable it's times like these u should only be thinking about investing more disposable income. The last thing u should do is cash out.

Back