Welcome To aBlackWeb

Is Hip Hop A "Cultural Movement"?

5 Grand

Old School Godfather
Is Hip Hop a cultural movement in the year 2023?

Or is that no longer true?

In the 1980s, Hip Hop was most certainly a "cultural movement". There was a certain style of dress, the language, and the dancing was all specific to the music. Certain ideas and ideologies were specific to Hip Hop (wearing Africa medallions or gold chains, also the 5% Nation lingo)

But I'm 49 years old now. None of that stuff is news to me. The idea of making 100s of millions of dollars via Hip Hop isn't a new idea. In fact, if you were in a boardroom pitching an idea, people would want to know how you are going to appeal to the "Hip Hop" demographic.

In the 80s and 90s Hip Hop kinda lead the movement. It was a force to be reckoned with.

Nowadays, we've seen the moguls and the billionaire's and there's nothing new in Hip Hop that wasn't true 20 years ago. I mean, Hip Hop isn't any more powerful than it was circa 2000.

So would you consider Hip Hop a "cultural movement" in the same manner that Blaxploitation movies (Superfly, Shaft, Foxy Brown, etc.) were cultural movements in the 70s?

Or is Hip Hop no longer a cultural movement because Hip Hop acts have been touring the globe since the 80s and 90s and it's nothing new.

Is Hip Hop what Rock N Roll was in the 90s?, something that your grandparents grew up listening to.

Back