Welcome To aBlackWeb

Is Donuts By J. Dilla Overrated?

Donuts one of the most overrated albums in hip hop history

🏃🏾💨
I hate to be the devils advocate..........I wholeheartedly agree 😔 It just doesn't have the stamina to be a CLASSIC ALBUM IMO. There's like 5-6 tracks that I can run back and forth but on an album that has 31 TRACKS. Unacceptable.

It's one of those albums that would've garnered fanfare from the "heads" upon release but woudln't have gotten that much acclaim if he didn't die. Yeah...I said it.

I hate to be the devils advocate..........I wholeheartedly agree 😔 It just doesn't have the stamina to be a CLASSIC ALBUM IMO. There's like 5-6 tracks that I can run back and forth but on an album that has 31 TRACKS. Unacceptable.

It's one of those albums that would've garnered fanfare from the "heads" upon release but woudln't have gotten that much acclaim if he didn't die. Yeah...I said it.

I said it was overrated a few years ago and @Elzo69Renaissance wanted to kill me lol

I think so

It’s constantly brought up when people try to put people on to Dilla. I won’t argue it or Dilla’s influence but it’s not that great and only vaulted because of Dilla’s demise

RIP

What y’all think?

dunno if ive ever heard anyone call donuts classic personally so ion see how it can be overrated

Damn I can’t even screenshot the things said about this album smh

This is considered a masterpiece though to many

Illmatic is overrated. good kid, m.A.A.d city is overrated. It Takes a Nation of Millions to Hold Us Back is overrated.

etc

Show me a great hip-hop album and i'll show you a gaggle of niggas sayin its gassed up.

Donuts is a beat tape.

By that standard, what is Donuts ACTUAL competition again? DJ Shadow - Entroducing... is the only other instrumental hip-hop album to EVER achieve this level of acclaim, so yeah. There's nothing on Donuts better than Building Grain With A Steam of Salt, but I think most listeners would take Donuts over Entroducing overall.

"Oh but its only rated that high because he died" but you can't separate his death from the album when he was making tracks like "Don't Cry" for his mama to listen to after he was gone.....its like sayin '7 Day Theory only hit that way because Pac died' foh. We mighta never heard that album if Pac lived. Some artists deaths are tied to an album, the difference is Dilla did it intentionally because he 100% knew he was gonna die. Dude turned his hospital room into a makeshift studio, made one track for each year of his life, named the album after his favorite food, dropped it on his birthday, and then died 3 days later. That counts for something in my book.

Its also one of those rare albums where the last track transitions into the intro, so it can be listened to on a infinite loop. That's pretty rare. Pink Floyd - The Wall probably the only other album I can think of to pull it off that seamlessly.

Personally, I always thought "Glazed" was the weakest beat of the bunch to my hip-hop production ear - that horn loop is ehhhh to me. "The Factory" is some goofy experimental shit. But they're better within the context of the album because the album sequencing is so good.

Considering that Stones Throw considers this the greatest jewel in their catalog, rivaled only by fucking MADVILLAINY, and damn near every other beat on it went on to be either a classic song or freestyle.........I'd say this album deserves its rep.

" Some artists deaths are tied to an album, the difference is Dilla did it intentionally because he 100% knew he was gonna die. Dude turned his hospital room into a makeshift studio, made one track for each year of his life, named the album after his favorite food, dropped it on his birthday, and then died 3 days later. That counts for something in my book.

Sole reason for that record...

He wanted to let the music (which were samples of old records) to speak out for him in his final days ...

Speaking of... I got the CD of all the records he sampled on that joint as a compilation... Very rare shit

Back