Welcome To aBlackWeb

'In His Prime' Series Vol1. How Good Was...Prodigy

During his prime years, was he...

• Total voters
I do believe this is my first thread.
So yeah I'm thinkin' a short series on rappers who were at one point dope and either lost their skill or fell out of the conversation or even just fell out of the discussion. Were they ever considered to be top 3/5 spitters at the time? Not about GOATs, just top 3/5 during the time period you believe they were in their best form.

So...First up.

In his prime, how good was Prodigy?

Thinkin' of Method Man or DMX next but open to direction

Forgot to respond to my own thread, must be the nerves.

I'd say top 3 after BIG died and by my count he got Nas more times than Nas got him

Prodigy was dope in his prime, but he wasn’t in the talks compared to Jay Big or Nas or even Pac for that matter. He set the streets on fire with Shook Ones him and Havoc, but unless u from NYC or just a East Coast rap music buff, Prodigy wasn’t that high at the top, not in any era of rap.

Hardest beat of 2000, hardest intro of 2000, most swagged out lines of 2000. Prodigy clearly was the King Of NY when this dropped. If he didnt get sick in early 2001 he would of smashed Jay Z worst than ether and had enough strength to defend himself against Nas. Prodigy is undisputed GOAT

When Prodigy got out of prison he had been dropping better music, more complex rhymes and creative work than Nas and Jay Z. No other 40+ year old rappers spitting like him. P is undisputed best lyricist like he was 20 years ago. If Prodigy would be alive and put out a diss record right now he would crush Jay Z and Nas backstabbin asses for kicking him while he was down in 2001-2002 This shit cannot be argued He is the fucking GOAT.

5 Classic albums

Shook Onez best song ever made

Survival of the fittest top 5 song ever made

The Infamous the greatest album ever made

Hell On Earth top 5 album ever made

Hnic top 10 album ever made

Top 2 easily. Only Nas was better from 95-2000. And barley at that.

Last edited:
Saying he’s top 5 at his prime is a bit much. At any point in his prime years I could name 5 to 8 MC’s better than him. That being said a Prodigy in his prime these days would easily be number 1.

Saying he’s top 5 at his prime is a bit much. At any point in his prime years I could name 5 to 8 MC’s better than him. That being said a Prodigy in his prime these days would easily be number 1.

Name 5-8 MCs with 4 or more projects from 95-2000 better than Prodigy in same time frame.

Name 5-8 MCs with 4 or more projects from 95-2000 better than Prodigy in same time frame.

I’m not even entertaining trying to figure out if they had 4 albums in that time span or not better. Just strictly as MCs at this point tho...

Jay
Nas
Black Thought
DMX
Ghostface
GZA
Redman

That’s 7, & I could of added Big & Pac in there but I went with dudes who lived throughout this whole period. Prodigy is a great just like these dudes. However I’m not gonna overrate him cuz he’s apart of this era & he’s dead (like it or not way more niggas have overrated him cuz of this).

I’m not even entertaining trying to figure out if they had 4 albums in that time span or not better. Just strictly as MCs at this point tho...

Jay
Nas
Black Thought
DMX
Ghostface
GZA
Redman

That’s 7, & I could of added Big & Pac in there but I went with dudes who lived throughout this whole period. Prodigy is a great just like these dudes. However I’m not gonna overrate him cuz he’s apart of this era & he’s dead (like it or not way more niggas have overrated him cuz of this).

Imo only Jig was consistently better than P at the time. Prodigy got Nas on most of their features. DMX next on the In His Prime series

Jay
Nas
Black Thought
DMX
Ghostface
GZA
Redman

I'd put 3000 & Common in there as well.

Back