Welcome To aBlackWeb

How Does Murder Inc Compare To Other R&B/Hip Hop Labels In The Same Era?

As a label, overrated. They dropped the ball with most of that roster and had huge misfires with Ja Rule and Ashanti who were walking Billboard charts on their own. How in the fuck did you think a single with Bobby Brown and a Grease video is going to sell an album during a feud with one of the most ruthless rappers in the industry? Irv tried way too hard to be Tony Montana and wanted an R&B singer to throw up gang signs in court while he fought a fed case. Too much ineptitude in that label's staff to put them up against the Roc and them. All that being said, the pieces to that puzzle were major. Irv broke out Jay and DMX, he was lowkey a marketing and A&R genius. Ja was his golden ticket... dude literally yodeled on records and went platinum. Ashanti made Keyshia Cole late to her own Versuz, that's how much smoke she had. Vita and Charli were dope. I personally liked Cadillac Tah and Black Child, POV City Anthem had the streets buzzing for half an hour. The 1st Murder Inc compilation was dope. And they signed VANESSA THE FUCK CARLTON. That was like Turkoglu getting signed to the Magic.

You have to admit that Ja Rule and Ashanti had chemistry that put Murder Inc on the top for a few years.

And that Grease video wasn't bad (I liked the song too), but as I remember it came out right around the time of the Wanksta video and it just seemed that 50 was talking directly to Ja.

You have to admit that Ja Rule and Ashanti had chemistry that put Murder Inc on the top for a few years.

And that Grease video wasn't bad (I liked the song too), but as I remember it came out right around the time of the Wanksta video and it just seemed that 50 was talking directly to Ja.
They did. I always thought they should've held off on that Ja album and have them put out a duo album. That would've sent Murder Inc to the moon, plus Black Child had a nice underground run at the time... judging by his interlude on that Ashanti album he sounded ready to go. Bad business, poor timing and tough guy shenanigans ironically got in the way of one of the best combinations in music at the time.

And that Grease video and song was fuckin horrible. You know they record and line these singles up before they release them... Bobby Brown heard that shit and said "hold my crackpipe". One bitch in the video had the nerve to score 69 points in Scrabble with "fellatio" then ask Ashanti "what's this new look" as if she turned into a thot because she wore some leather. Fuck is wrong with these niggas.

Them matched up “ok” I guess...they had tha mega starts in Ja and Ashanti and had a pretty good roster but they just seemed like they were always a notch or 2 behind/below Nad Boy, The Roc, Ruff Ryderz and even G Unit

Just my opinion tho...

during their run as it relates to pop/rnb (ja/ashanti/lloyd/christina milian) - they were the best no question

expected vita and cadillac tah to get further than they did - but didnt play out

Ja was jus one of the many rappers that filled the void left by Pac

he and Ashanti had alotta R&B crossover singles and that created alotta mainstream buzz

this was the 1st song remember him really poppin. and this was basically a Pac impression...

Ja Rule - How Many Wanna Die - YouTube

Murder Inc is the only label u never heard any disgruntled broke shit from its artists....
That alone you got to respect
FACTS!!!

Matter of fact, aside from Dipset Murder Inc was the first label of its generation where you felt like everyone was proud to be in it. Ashanti and Vanessa Carlton was out there throwin up gang signs.

Pretty sure Charli B. Publicly came out n said them niggas spent her album budget on Extacy n champagne smh
That's filed under shitty business moves along with enlisting guest feature services from a 2002 Bobby Brown and hiring one of Preme's shooters for financial consultation. Bitch ain't even put no songs out.

Back