How Come UK Rappers/MCs Don't Cross Over To The US?

5 Grand

Old School Godfather
Mar 14, 2018
Whitehorse Gardens
I'm from the East Coast (Massachusetts/New York/New Jersey). I'm mainly into East Coast Hip Hop but every once in a while something from The West Coast or The South or Midwest catches my attention.

The West Coast and The South have accents that stand out, The Midwest, not so much.

So how come UK artists don't crossover to the UK? If it's because of their accents, like I said The West and South have accents but they still crossover to the East Coast.

As far as I'm aware we (US artists) cross over to the UK, but they don't crossover to us.

Maybe it's because of promotion and advertising. I doubt if I've ever heard a UK rapper on the radio or on TV.

The last UK rapper I can remember was Asher D & Daddy Freddy and they came out in 1988.

Add on

It has nothing to do with the accent.

UK artists have always hid their accents in order to sound more American.

EXHIBIT A:

I had no idea that Monie Love was British until I heard her do an interview.

And as far as not crossing over, it’s not just hip hop.

UK artists, in general, just don’t sell over here like they did in the 60’s, 70’s and 80’s.

I'm from the East Coast (Massachusetts/New York/New Jersey). I'm mainly into East Coast Hip Hop but every once in a while something from The West Coast or The South or Midwest catches my attention.

The West Coast and The South have accents that stand out, The Midwest, not so much.

So how come UK artists don't crossover to the UK? If it's because of their accents, like I said The West and South have accents but they still crossover to the East Coast.

As far as I'm aware we (US artists) cross over to the UK, but they don't crossover to us.

Maybe it's because of promotion and advertising. I doubt if I've ever heard a UK rapper on the radio or on TV.

The last UK rapper I can remember was Asher D & Daddy Freddy and they came out in 1988.

Add on

giphy.gif

It has nothing to do with the accent.

UK artists have always hid their accents in order to sound more American.

EXHIBIT A:

I had no idea that Monie Love was British until I heard her do an interview.

And as far as not crossing over, it’s not just hip hop.

UK artists, in general, just don’t sell over here like they did in the 60’s, 70’s and 80’s.

Youre talking about UK rappers in the 80s and early 90s that sounded American lol

IMO Its down to the accents why they dont really pop in America and the fact alot of American's dont relate or understand alot of the British slang and culture they are rapping about, alot of it is because America and American culture is so big...

There have been plenty of UK/US collabs because MC's appreciate other MC's... Immortal Tech, Ill Bill, Cormega, Bun B, Trae, Crooked I, Sean Price, Dead Prez, Planet Asia to name a few...

Then when it comes to drill (like Pop Smoke (rip), Sheff G and them) that sound comes from the UK... Drill and early forms of it have been in the UK for years...

Last edited:
I thought Pop Smoke was a UK rapper for a good min

good thread

I always thought it had something to do with the Black cultures being so distinct in different countries.......even tho cats have similar topics in their music, most Americans bruhs don't relate to same hood stories in the UK

plus u throw in the slang/accents and it really creates a divide

and it ain't just the UK where there are good rappers who should be able to be embraced in the US

the same situation in reggae music happens with west indians and continental africans.......the potential for collabs are there but they rarely seem to happen

Youre talking about UK rappers in the 80s and early 90s that sounded American lol

IMO Its down to the accents why they dont really pop in America and the fact alot of American's dont relate or understand alot of the British slang and culture they are rapping about, alot of it is because America and American culture is so big...

There have been plenty of UK/US collabs because MC's appreciate other MC's... Immortal Tech, Ill Bill, Cormega, Bun B, Trae, Crooked I, Sean Price, Dead Prez, Planet Asia to name a few...

Then when it comes to drill (like Pop Smoke (rip), Sheff G and them) that sound comes from the UK... Drill and early forms of it have been in the UK for years...

@Water Ur Seeds

I'm checking out the songs you posted. Their accents aren't any heavier than Southern accents imo.

us in canada can relate to UK shit more because our slang is basically the same

Yeah man, theres heavy Caribbean community/culture in both countries...

Canada and UK have always collab'd with eachother tbf, even going back to Kardinal Offishall in the late 90's, alot of UK rappers seem to get shown love in Canada too...

Also Drake came over here and stole a UK drill flow for abit lol

Yeah man, theres heavy Caribbean community/culture in both countries...

Canada and UK have always collab'd with eachother tbf, even going back to Kardinal Offishall in the late 90's, alot of UK rappers seem to get shown love in Canada too...

Also Drake came over here and stole a UK drill flow for abit lol

but see states thought drake was rippin off the caribbean slang when he started using our slang in songs . but they dont understand thats how we talk down here

Reactions: RozayTabernacle
Definitely the accent. You can be the most gangsta rapper ever with the best gun bars, but all I’m going to hear is tea and crumpets.

• Haha
Reactions: ZMaKEa and Mr BFK
Accent.

sounds like imitation.

beat production.

I’m English and I ain’t a fan of many artists due to the fact I feel they try to imitate US artists.