Welcome To aBlackWeb

TECH Holberton School - Tech/Coding School that charges no tuition upfront (Scam or Nah?)

Inori

NAWF
Was watching that Joe Budden Pull Up episode with Ne-Yo and one part that stood out for me big time was towards the end where Ne-Yo mentions he invested into the Holberton School which is a tech/coding school in San Francisco that doesn't charge any tuition upfront.

While there are plenty of coding schools and bootcamps abound, the Holberton School is taking a different approach by charging no upfront tuition for students to enroll. Instead, graduates have to contribute about 17% of their salaries or internship pay to the school for three years after graduation.

The agreement says if you land a job making more that 40k a year you pay back 17% of that for 3 years.

On the surface I was thinking damn this looks dope and has the potential to help folks that look like us get an education in the tech field... then I came across this shit here

During studies, sometimes a student has to spend a lot of money besides tuition, and this innovation will help the student to save the parents' budget.

During studies, sometimes a student has to spend a lot of money besides tuition, and this innovation will help the student to save the parents' budget.
Would it kill some of you to read the story or watch the video instead of just reading the headline. Sheesh.

Those former students said you basically just go there and teach yourself. They want you to just google how to do shit on your own. If you're going to do it on your own, whats the point of even going there?
Then the student the school calls a success story really looked right at the camera and said he likes being able to google everything and its better than having a teacher LOL What a fucking scam.

When celebrities are talking about some tech company they invested in, its always funny to me how they talk about it like they started it and it wasnt pitched to their manager. lol

But if you watch this video, this dick head Neo was really talking like 17% was nothing. If you land a job making 40k before even taxes, you have to give the school $6,800. That shit would change your whole standard of living, wtf.

Its really indentured servitude like that professor said. Thats why that school said its not a loan or credit so they're except from federal truth and lending laws.

And the very worst part is Neo sat there and said its especially geared to minorities and women. smh

Bout sick and tired of these niggas claiming to want to help POC in the hood by giving a bunch of money to some white start up with predatory practices. Say what you want about Tyler Perry, but he really went out and hired black people. Other people with that money just rap about it and talk about it when media is around, but they arnt really doing anything.

17% for 4 years of your pay if you make 40K is high as fuck
I just now realized what a lie this is. That is, in the end you will pay more than this education costs.
Very cleverly invented. I hope this does not happen. I think that if you pay tuition for the price, plus additional costs, it will be more profitable than the above option of "free education". It’s hard for students. For example, my parents do not help me. I pay for all my learning needs on my own, well, at least the service dissertation writing service that helps me do some homework I found at an affordable price. And, frankly, I’m not ready even after graduation to give part of my salary to university. Therefore, I hope this is false information.

Last edited:
It's absolutely a scam, there's enough resources out there to learn the shit out most things these days, but especially coding. All these people are doing is putting it all in a pretty little package for you. Get on your autodidactic shit. Whatever you want to learn, I promise you there are youtube channels, reddits and discords dedicated for helping you get to where you want to be.

It's absolutely a scam, there's enough resources out there to learn the shit out most things these days, but especially coding. All these people are doing is putting it all in a pretty little package for you. Get on your autodidactic shit. Whatever you want to learn, I promise you there are youtube channels, reddits and discords dedicated for helping you get to where you want to be.
Agree but that's suited to a certain type of learner not everyone can learn that way.

Back