Welcome To aBlackWeb

HBO’s “Real Sports with Bryant Gumbel” ending after 29 seasons (final episode airs Tuesday)

grYmes

The price of a brick goin up…
Real Sports With Bryant Gumbel” is coming to an end at HBO.

The sports talk series has been a part of the premium cabler’s lineup for 29 years. Gumbel first launched the series in 1995 and has aired over 300 episodes to date.

“Since day one at ‘Real Sports’ we’ve consistently tried to look beyond the scoreboard, and focus instead on the many societal issues inherent in the world of sports,” Gumbel said in a statement. “In the process we’ve had the opportunity to tell complex stories about race, gender, class, opportunity and so much more. Being able to do so at HBO for almost 3 decades has been very gratifying. I’m proud of the imprint we’ve made, so I’m ready to turn the page. Although goodbyes are never easy, I’ve decided that now’s the time to move on.”

“Real Sports” has won 37 Sports Emmys throughout its run as well as 3 Peabody Awards. Each episode consists of multiple stories set within the world of sports. The show has featured a number of prominent correspondents as well, including Soledad O’Brien, Ariel Helwani, James Brown, Jim Lampley, and many more.

“Real Sports With Bryant Gumbel” is executive produced by Joe Perskie.

“For 29 seasons, ‘Real Sports With Bryant Gumbel’ has delivered a masterclass in sports storytelling, garnering 37 Sports Emmy Awards and 3 Peabody awards in the process,” said Casey Bloys, chairman and CEO of HBO and Max Content. “As the longest running HBO series, Bryant and his ‘Real Sports’ team have long been a cornerstone of HBO programming. The series will continue to resonate in the realm of sports journalism, and we are so proud to have been part of such a remarkable odyssey.”

Gumbel is a highly-regarded sportscaster and journalist. In addition to his work on “Real Sports,” he is known for his work covering the NFL, Major League Baseball, college football, and more. He was also the co-host of “The Today Show” for 15 years between 1982 and 1997.

Damn, end of an era. This show was always quality.

Back