Welcome To aBlackWeb

Have you ever wondered what’s it’s like to be poor?

When I was little I use to have all the new shit.

Looking back at it, we didn’t have money. Just new things.

We always was moving, places we was at was shit, moving with family a few times

I remember using the oven for heat.

And I wouldn’t take it back for anything

Last edited:
my parents were never rich.... but
1)they both had jobs
2)they owned their own home
3)they were married
4)my sister & i never had to eat free school lunch......
tbh we had it a lot better than most people we grew up with.

That’s a better question for my kids. They have no idea what that life is like, but I’m always telling them what it was like for me.

My family was what you may call “rolling poor”. I remember the good times but they were sandwiched between the “let’s stretch these school clothes out a couple more months times”.

I grew up in the suburbs in a two parent home. We would be what you would consider "rich" by some standards. Both parents had cars and I had my own bedroom.

But I didn't go to college after high school and things kinda spiraled downhill. Also, I have some psychiatric problems.

Nowadays at 49 years old (I'll be 50 in a few weeks) I'm what would be considered "poor". I'm on SSI, Food Stamps and Section 8 housing. I barely have enough to get by from month to month.

So I feel like I've experienced both sides of the fence.

• Ether
Reactions: GNS
I grew up in the suburbs in a two parent home. We would be what you would consider "rich" by some standards. Both parents had cars and I had my own bedroom.

But I didn't go to college after high school and things kinda spiraled downhill. Also, I have some psychiatric problems.

Nowadays at 49 years old (I'll be 50 in a few weeks) I'm what would be considered "poor". I'm on SSI, Food Stamps and Section 8 housing. I barely have enough to get by from month to month.

So I feel like I've experienced both sides of the fence.
I call this the privilege paradox. Grow up poor and you have motivation to not be that way. But then your kids grow up privileged and lose that edge so they end up poor.

I pray my kids don’t fall into that trap. My son is notoriously lazy when it comes to school though. Hoping he figures it out now that he’s in college.

I vividly remember the roaches when I was growing up poor cause they would get into everything if you left something out too long

Used to try fixing a bowl of cereal and a dead roach would fall outta the box

I'm lowkey glad white t shirts were popular growing up as a kid. Was too poor to afford all the namebrand stuff as a kid.

Nah. Thankful for the small things myself.

I mean we weren't rich, but we were well off a lot better than other families. So, I ain't got much to complain about.

They finna take them White people to the set of Good Times and have them eating sugar sandwiches hell nah. they can understand poverty in non-demeaning ways.

Its mad funny this thread is about an event in Chicago and niggas is using it to humble brag about never being poor lol.

I grew up poor as shit in the country of NC but ironically I was more happy then than I am now. Now a nigga pulling in 6 figures here and there got his own company doing well but the happiness isn't as great as it was when I was young and wondering how me and the parents was going to have heat for the winter .

Back