Welcome To aBlackWeb

Has hosting the olympics ever been a good investment?

DOS_patos

Unverified Legion of Trill member
Damn near ever city i been to with an Olympic stadium....that stadium is not a weed projects.
ran down and damn near falling down.

the birds next in china
the shit in amsterdam
the shit in brazil...

all that shit falling down.

and alot of times it displaces poor people like in brazil and china.
those poor people dont get apart of the money nor see any help.

so when is it ever worth the investment?

atlanta came out pretty good at least as far as the venues are concerned. all of the major olympic venues are either still here or have been replaced by new venues. the old atlanta fulton county stadium is gone but it was replaced by olympic stadium/turner field/ ga. state stadium. the omni is gone but it has been replaced by state farm arena. the ga. dome is gone but it has been replaced by merceds benz stadium. the best venue from the olympics is centennial park and it is still in heavy use. centennial park is still one of my favorite places to go in the city. i love taking my daughter down there and little kids still love playing in the fountains. im not sure if the city turned a profit but the venues held up very well.

https://atlanta.curbed.com/maps/atlanta-olympic-venues-map

c/s the posts about ATL......the dorms / administrative buildings of Georgia State University in downtown were built to accommodate Olympians.

L.A. is not going to turn a profit hosting the Olympics but will probably follow Atlanta's blueprint as far as post-Olympic use of the facilities / infrastructure

Low-key, I think Washington D.C, Chicago and NYC residents were happy that they lost out on the host city bids due to the traffic congestion, budget, etc......from what I understand, the host city/state absorbs a significant amount of costs (overtime for law enforcement, etc)

c/s the posts about ATL......the dorms / administrative buildings of Georgia State University in downtown were built to accommodate Olympians.

L.A. is not going to turn a profit hosting the Olympics but will probably follow Atlanta's blueprint as far as post-Olympic use of the facilities / infrastructure

Low-key, I think Washington D.C, Chicago and NYC residents were happy that they lost out on the host city bids due to the traffic congestion, budget, etc......from what I understand, the host city/state absorbs a significant amount of costs (overtime for law enforcement, etc)

I think the city has to be wealthy to benefit from the Olympics.

Has it left a sporting legacy In Atlanta?

London loves to pretend it did

I think the city has to be wealthy to benefit from the Olympics.

Has it left a sporting legacy In Atlanta?

London loves to pretend it did

You are right about the city has to be wealthy (or heavily populated) to benefit from the Olympics. The city won't make a profit but it can benefit in the long run due to infrastructure, transportation, housing improvements

Through parks, facilities, Olympic cauldron at Centennial Park, signs posted at the arrival / departure terminals at Hartsfield - Jackson Airport......the Olympics have definitely left a legacy in ATL

The cities take a huge L but the businesses make a killing. Especially hotels and restaurants.

If Charlotte was to ever get that which they never will but if they did. I would straight AirBNB my home. Same thing if they get a Superbowl

The cities take a huge L but the businesses make a killing. Especially hotels and restaurants.

If Charlotte was to ever get that which they never will but if they did. I would straight AirBNB my home. Same thing if they get a Superbowl

Charlotte was on the list for US City finalists but I think they were never seriously considered due to the size of their airport.

You are right about local businesses making a killing.

My wife and I have 2 homes that we AirBnB near the airport in and waiting on the Super Bowl.....will probably unblock the dates this time next week........I am just glad that the Falcons are out of the running because the Falcon fanbase would have treated it like a regular Sunday game

I was fucking ecstatic that we lost out on hosting the Olympics. The 2000 NBA all-star weekend fucked traffic up in the city. The olympics would've made shit unbearable.

Honestly D.C. not big enough to host the olympics and the plan was actually to host it in both D.C. and Baltimore. I don't know which events would've been where but that was what they were talking about.

I would've loved to been able to see the boxing live but the trade off wouldn't have been worth it.

Last edited:
I was fucking ecstatic that we lost out on hosting the Olympics. The 2000 NBA all-star weekend fucked traffic up in the city. The olympics would've made shit unbearable.

Honestly D.C. not big enough to host the olympics and the plan was actually to host it in both D.C. and Baltimore. I don't know which events would've been where but that was what they were talking about.

I would've loved to been able to see the boxing live but the trade off wouldn't have been worth it.
All star is here in Charlotte this year traffic a bout to be a bitch uptown. The jackers going to be on the prowl as well.

Then a week or two after that the CIAA tournament is in town. The hotel and restaurants here about to make a grip for all of February

All star is here in Charlotte this year traffic a bout to be a bitch uptown. The jackers going to be on the prowl as well.

Then a week or two after that the CIAA tournament is in town. The hotel and restaurants here about to make a grip for all of February

Damn money going to be flowing but its going to be a rack of shit to deal with because everything else that comes with it.

That is a hell of a 2 week span for yall city.

Back