Welcome To aBlackWeb

Harvard prof rides 17,000% return in a single stock to become a billionaire

DOS_patos

Unverified Legion of Trill member
Moderna MRNA, +6.45% went public in late 2018, bursting onto the Wall Street scene as the biggest biotech IPO in history. Timothy Springer, a Harvard medical-school professor, saw his stake in the company fatten his bottom line by a whopping $320 million by the end of the trading day.

After that, he really got rich.

Less than two years later, and the 72-year-old has ridden a 17,000% return in his Moderna shares — which he paid about $5 million for in the company’s early stages — into the billionaire club, according to the latest figures from the Bloomberg Billionaires Index.
The Cambridge, Mass., biotech has jumped 162% this year, as of Wednesday’s close, surging on hopes for its mRNA-1273 coronavirus vaccine, one of the first to begin human trials.

MW-IF092_158766_20200423133801_NS.jpg

The government recently agreed to give Moderna $483 million to develop the vaccine. “The grant ... is going to be a big accelerator to the development of mRNA-1273,” Moderna CEO Stéphane Bancel said in an investor call last Friday.

Springer made his first killing during the bubble of 1999, Bloomberg reported, when he pocketed $100 million by selling his first venture to Millennium Pharmaceuticals. He took $5 million of that and plugged it into pre-IPO Moderna. The rest is history.

Will all that money change him? Not if his comments from 2018 are any indication.

“I have an academic lifestyle. I’m not into ramen noodles, but my friends are academics, so it doesn’t really behoove me to be flashy,” Springer told Bloomberg at the time. “I feel that I’ve had more than enough wealth for myself for some time. I don’t feel I need more.”

I need to learn this shit

What was key here was that the individual was smart enough to get a private banker/wealth advisor after they made millions in 1999 who could then find him the opportunity to invest in a Pre-IPO. A lot of people aren't aware you can do this. Certain brokers can go directly to the company and do that.

What makes a Pre-IPO good is that they are often insured by insurance companies meaning if the IPO fails the insurance company will buy the shares and sell them to someone else. The point of an IPO is for early investors to sell their shares to the public at a huge premium so that the company can use the proceeds to help expand their business.

Amazing for Springer and that's what's up.

damn there's alotta cheat codes out there! lol that is nuts.

I know you mentioned investing in insurance in another thread.... you familiar with re-insurance? I didn't even know that was an entire industry until I moved out here

What was key here was that the individual was smart enough to get a private banker/wealth advisor after they made millions in 1999 who could then find him the opportunity to invest in a Pre-IPO. A lot of people aren't aware you can do this. Certain brokers can go directly to the company and do that.

What makes a Pre-IPO good is that they are often insured by insurance companies meaning if the IPO fails the insurance company will buy the shares and sell them to someone else. The point of an IPO is for early investors to sell their shares to the public at a huge premium so that the company can use the proceeds to help expand their business.

Amazing for Springer and that's what's up.
all i know is im waiting for the news on when instacart is going to launch their ipo.

its going to happen this year......i think the shit will be big.

like real big

also robinhood and airbnb will have ipo's this year

Last edited:
all i know is im waiting for the news on when instacart is going to launch their ipo.

its going to happen this year......i think the shit will be big.

like real big

also robinhood and airbnb will have ipo's this year

Any idea when instacart is going to have their IPO?

Back