Welcome To aBlackWeb

Happy 50th bday to QTIP....

One of the best to ever do it

Tribe's first album dropped toward the end of my Junior year in high school. Their second album, Low End Theory came out on my 18th birthday. I don't know if you guys remember, but from 92-93 there was a lull on the East coast while West Coast artists and producers had a new sound, new style and their videos and imagery looked like a breathe of fresh air compared to all of the videos coming out of New York. On the East Coast we had Tribe, Naughty By Nature, Black Sheep, Pete Rock & CL Smooth, KRS One, and Gang Starr. But it just seemed like Dre, Snoop, Cube, Coolio, Too $hort, MC Eight, DJ Quik and the rest of those guys had kicked in the door.

Anyway, I still maintain that Low End Theory and Midnight Marauders are the two best albums out of that era. If you're into sampling, Dr Dre used a lot of P-Funk samples that everybody recognized, while Tribe, and Gang Starr were finding samples from rare, unknown records that nobody had ever heard of. Part of the listening experience was figuring out where the original samples came from as there was no internet.

Anyway, Q-Tip, Phife (RIP) and Ali Shaheed Muhammad made the soundtrack to my life for those few years. I wasn't really feeling Beats Rhymes & Life nor The Love Movement but We Got It From Here... was a 5 mic classic.

Back