Welcome To aBlackWeb

Greatest Guest Feature Tournament Main Thread

OK, what metric do you want to use to compare The Message to any other song that's been, or will be, nominated?

I dunno.

Pick one.

Just makes sure that it's one that involves US, the people who created hip hop and who's perspective hip hop is supposed to represent. Not 60 year old privileged white dudes.

Ya know?

Killer Mike - The Whole World
Pimp C - Big Pimpin
Lil Flip - Like A Pimp
Eve - You Got Me
Jeezy - Beautiful

I dunno.

Pick one.

Just makes sure that it's one that involves US, the people who created hip hop and who's perspective hip hop is supposed to represent. Not 60 year old privileged white dudes.

Ya know?

Nobody on ABW wants to admit it, but the clear and obvious winner is Duke Bootee on The Message.

The song itself is 38 years old and still bangs in a whip, the flow isn't outdated, the concept is still relevant, and unless you want to count The Last Poets (let's not go down that rabbit hole) The Message is the first rap song to have a serious tone. It was the first dark dreary record. Prior to The Message all rap songs were about partying and having a good time.

I guess the best way to settle this is for @mryounggun to explain why Duke Bootee's feature on The Message shouldn't be the "Greatest Guest Feature".

Ghostface - Tony Montana

Ghost makes you forget that this was Cormega's song. If the rapper didn't do that, then they don't need to even be mentioned in this thread.

Nobody on ABW wants to admit it, but the clear and obvious winner is Duke Bootee on The Message.

The song itself is 38 years old and still bangs in a whip, the flow isn't outdated, the concept is still relevant, and unless you want to count The Last Poets (let's not go down that rabbit hole) The Message is the first rap song to have a serious tone. It was the first dark dreary record. Prior to The Message all rap songs were about partying and having a good time.

I guess the best way to settle this is for @mryounggun to explain why Duke Bootee's feature on The Message shouldn't be the "Greatest Guest Feature".

I don’t recall saying that at all.

OP updated

Is there any guest appearance that's not on the list that should be in the tournament?

Lil Wayne - Fat Albert
Redman - Big Dogs
Conway the Machine - The Crow
Nas - Let My Niggas Live
Kurupt - Doggy Dogg World
Jay Rock - Money Trees
Nas - It's Mine
Notorious B.I.G. - Flava In Ya Ear (Remix)
Common - Respiration
Memphis Bleek - Hand It Down
Redman - One Shot Deal
Jay Z -Go Crazy (Remix)

Lil Wayne - Fat Albert
Redman - Big Dogs
Conway the Machine - The Crow
Nas - Let My Niggas Live
Kurupt - Doggy Dogg World
Jay Rock - Money Trees
Nas - It's Mine
Notorious B.I.G. - Flava In Ya Ear (Remix)
Common - Respiration
Memphis Bleek - Hand It Down
Redman - One Shot Deal
Jay Z -Go Crazy (Remix)

None of those verses are seeing Duke Bootee on The Message

None of those verses are seeing Duke Bootee on The Message
Just because it's a long verse dont make it great yo. Plus hearing how someone turned into a fag doesn't scream 'Greatest Feature'. Good verse, but there's a reason it's only one person talking about it.

Just because it's a long verse dont make it great yo. Plus hearing how someone turned into a fag doesn't scream 'Greatest Feature'. Good verse, but there's a reason it's only one person talking about it.

So Kurrupt's verse on Doggy Dogg world is better than Duke Bootee's verse on The Message?

Back