Missy Elliott- Under Construction
Jay Z- The Blueprint 2: The Gift & The Curse
50 Cent- Get Rich or Die Tryin

Kanye West- College Dropout
Beastie Boys- The 5 Boroughs
Nelly- Suit
LL Cool J- The DEFinition
Jay Z- The Black Album

I’ll start with the first 10 years. If this thread does well then I will do the other years.

Based on your observation who should’ve won? What years did they get right in terms of the nominees and what did they get wrong? What albums were snubbed? Plus any of observations you may have.

Funny enough, I'm listening to Word Of Mouf now

I'll check out the rest of 03 and report back

Eminem and OutKast shouldnt have won none of them shits. Jay and Kanye winning years is the only ones I agree with.

Pac should've won in 96
50 should've won in '04
Jay definitely should've won in '02

Some of these years it’s more who’s nominated than who won that’s the problem.

1996- Only Built 4 Cuban Linx & The Infamous not being nominated is criminal. Can add Liquid Swords/Return of the 36 Chambers as well. 2Pac should have won but I’m not surprised they kept it safe for the first ever award with giving it to Naughty.

1997- The Score as far as mainstream goes makes sense… even tho this clearly could have went to Pac for a second straight year. I’m shocked It Was Written wasn’t nominated.

1998- I’m not really mad at No Way Out winning but it feels like a wasted opportunity to have Biggie win his only Grammy. They got the nominations right for the most part tho.

1999- Where the hell is DMX?!

2000- Again… where the hell is DMX?! As well as Mos Def for Black on Both Sides.

2001- Given how hot Em was at this point I’m not surprised he won. I’m more mad that Supreme Clientele wasn’t nominated but Vol. 3 was.

2002- Stillmatic not being nominated is ass. I don’t care that it was released in December ‘01.

2003- They definitely rigged this shit so that Em would win and it wouldn’t look weird. Where’s The Fix? Quality? Fuck where’s Gods Son?!

2004- There was probably no stopping OutKast I guess. Only thing I’d say is TI probably deserved a nom for Trap Muzik.

2005- Definitely got the winner right. I’d throw LL & Nelly albums outta here for A Long Hot Summer (Masta Ace) & Madvillainy.

Last edited:
Some of these years it’s more who’s nominated than who won that’s the problem.

1996- Only Built 4 Cuban Linx & The Infamous not being nominated is criminal. Can add Liquid Swords/Return of the 36 Chambers as well. 2Pac should have won but I’m not surprised they kept it safe for the first ever award with giving it to Naughty.

1997- The Score as far as mainstream goes makes sense… even tho this clearly could have went to Pac for a second straight year. I’m shocked It Was Written wasn’t nominated.

1998- I’m not really mad at No Way Out winning but it feels like a wasted opportunity to have Biggie win his only Grammy. They got the nominations right for the most part tho.

1999- Where the hell is DMX?!

2000- Again… where the hell is DMX?! As well as Mos Def for Black on Both Sides.

I was really only paying attention to what was listed. I didn't even think about who wasn't. You're right, the snubs are kinda crazy especially with 96.

Jay's Vol. 2 winning over Capitol Punishment is crazy to me too, but it's Jay so I'm not surprised.

Back