Welcome To aBlackWeb

Goat Song of 88 (Rd1): Run's House vs Gangsta Gangsta

Which One You Got?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
This is a hard one because both songs are dope.

But I think that last verse by DMC is one of the strongest verses in hiphop (at least in that era) so I gotta vote for "Run's House". It is kinda ironic that the song is called "Run's House" but DMC got Run on this song with a better verse...haha

Don't get me wrong, Cube was spittin' but I think both Cube and NWA have songs that are better than "Gangsta Gangsta"...

Only voice who rivals DMC from that era is Rakim and Chuck D....

When any of those 3 use to spit, you would pay attention... shame DMC kinda fried his voice with all that drinkin' and smokin' over the years...

Actually Ice Cube, Scarface, and the D.O.C. (before the car accident) also had those "attention-getting" voices... I'm a bit East Coast biased

I'm definitely East coast biased.

Dmc got most imitated flow of all time.

I'd never say run dmc is my favorite group, but I love their sound.

I look back on them fondly af.

Especially knowing that jay was doing the beats live....I would have loved to be in my 20's during that era

@Cain
@deadeye

What was like it like living in history??

:cont:

Both classics. Run's house sounds like the 80s, I rarely play that shit. Gangsta Gangsta could drop today and it'll get heavy play.

I'd never say run dmc is my favorite group, but I love their sound.

I look back on them fondly af.

Especially knowing that jay was doing the beats live....I would have loved to be in my 20's during that era

@Cain
@deadeye

What was like it like living in history??

:cont:

Blessed.

Glad to have been around to see the birth of hiphop.

Far as the thread topic, between those 2 songs..........if we're talking about what was being heard pumping out of jeeps and whatnot........I heard Run's House more than I did Gangsta Gangsta.

Keep in mind though, that Run DMC already had a name out.

NWA was just starting to get established, so everybody wasn't up on them until about 6 months after the album dropped.

Now, in terms of what I remember being bumped the most in 88......

It was Beats to the Rhyme (Run DMC) and Rebel without a Pause (Public Enemy).

Tougher than Leather should've been Run DMC's best album, but they got too comfortable and put too much rock on it.

Can't really blame them though, because they got a lot of crossover appeal from that in the past.

It was just overkill on this one.

If the only rock song they did was the title track, that album would've been considered a classic.

Blessed.

Glad to have been around to see the birth of hiphop.

Far as the thread topic, between those 2 songs..........if we're talking about what was being heard pumping out of jeeps and whatnot........I heard Run's House more than I did Gangsta Gangsta.

Keep in mind though, that Run DMC already had a name out.

NWA was just starting to get established, so everybody wasn't up on them until about 6 months after the album dropped.

Now, in terms of what I remember being bumped the most in 88......

It was Beats to the Rhyme (Run DMC) and Rebel without a Pause (Public Enemy).

Tougher than Leather should've been Run DMC's best album, but they got too comfortable and put too much rock on it.

Can't really blame them though, because they got a lot of crossover appeal from that in the past.

It was just overkill on this one.

If the only rock song they did was the title track, that album would've been considered a classic.

I heard a rumor that Run DMC wanted to get off their label and sugn with Def Jam so bad that they intentionally made wack, corny pop songs in hopes that their record label wiuld drop them.

I also heard that the album was supposed to be the soundtrack fir the movie of the same name. But due to sample clearance issues the album was delayed for a year. In the meanwhile the whole landscape changed.

Producers started sampling more and MCs like Rakim, KRS and Big Daddy Kane were spitting faster and dropping knowledge while Run DMC had always dumbed down their subject matter.

Basically that Tougher Than Leather album was a day late and a dollar short.

There were onky 3 songs I liked (Run's House, Beats To The Rhyme and Tougher than Leather) and a few more songs I could tolorate (How Do You Do It Dee and I'm Not Goin Out Like That).

Tougher than Leather could have been a dope EP but the album didn't have just filler, but there were a few songs that were downright wack ( Mary Mary and MS Elaine)

Having said all that, I remember when the college radio shows would play the clean version of Gangsta Gangsta. I didn't even know there was a dirty version until the album came out 6 months later.

Anyway, I voted for Gangsta Gangsta.

Man, Run was so ill. I don't get the love for DMC

Run...nigga was ill af

So was LL by default.

If you check the back of their album covers, you'll see his name on some of their songs.

He wasn't doing beats, so it had to have been the lyrics.

I heard a rumor that Run DMC wanted to get off their label and sugn with Def Jam so bad that they intentionally made wack, corny pop songs in hopes that their record label wiuld drop them.

I also heard that the album was supposed to be the soundtrack fir the movie of the same name. But due to sample clearance issues the album was delayed for a year. In the meanwhile the whole landscape changed.

Producers started sampling more and MCs like Rakim, KRS and Big Daddy Kane were spitting faster and dropping knowledge while Run DMC had always dumbed down their subject matter.

Basically that Tougher Than Leather album was a day late and a dollar short.

There were onky 3 songs I liked (Run's House, Beats To The Rhyme and Tougher than Leather) and a few more songs I could tolorate (How Do You Do It Dee and I'm Not Goin Out Like That).

Tougher than Leather could have been a dope EP but the album didn't have just filler, but there were a few songs that were downright wack ( Mary Mary and MS Elaine)

Having said all that, I remember when the college radio shows would play the clean version of Gangsta Gangsta. I didn't even know there was a dirty version until the album came out 6 months later.

Anyway, I voted for Gangsta Gangsta.

Never heard that rumor, but I wouldn't be surprised since Run's brother (Russell) owned Def Jam.

I doubt they'd risk sales to do it though.

They probably just thought all those rock songs were gonna push their sales by appealing to more of a pop audience.

Half the album was pure hiphop........the other half was rock mixed with hiphop.

Basically, the main difference was the fact that..........their previous albums crossed over without them trying to cross over.

The Leather album, however, was the only one in which they intentionally tried to cross over........but it backfired because it was too blatant.

Related video:

Last edited:
DMC was that dude......he had great mic presence and was Run's equal on the mic even though Run got the most notoriety out the group

Some underestimate and miscalculate
My intent to create what I call the great
Till I make a song that I prove em wrong
See my song so strong it'll make em come along
Come in the door, get on the floor
Hard rock hard hitting hip hop hardcore
Causing casualties and catastrophes
And tragedies for the suck emcees
Using strategies to get the best of me
You dirty rat emcees, whoever you may be
You need to go down south
You need to shut your mouth
Its all about no doubt just shout cause we turn it out!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back