Welcome To aBlackWeb

For who this applies to why didn’t the south listen to Outkast like that?

5th Letter

Mod Squad
I’ve heard over the years whether on ABW or on the old spot that y’all mainly were more into 3-6 Mafia, UGK, No Limit etc. Is there a reason why y’all couldn’t get into them?

OutKast was considered “back pack rap” in tha 90’s…they had their followers and fans but their music wasn’t necessarily “beat driven” and it was considered “lyrical” as opposed to “down south music”…

With that bein’ said that statement just ain’t true lol…I was in tha south durin’ tha 90’s and these niggaz was definitely listenin’ to Outkast…they just also listen to 3-6, No Limit, 8Ball & MJG, etc etc …anybody from/in tha south back then sayin’ that weren’t listenin’ to Kast just tryin’ to seem like they was against tha grain lol

What I will say is I think a lot of people over exaggerate how much UGK got exposure in tha early to mid 90’s…they were truly just that…Underground Kings…there wasn’t a gang of people rrunnin’ around listenin’ to them like people claim/think

I’ve heard over the years whether on ABW or on the old spot that y’all mainly were more into 3-6 Mafia, UGK, No Limit etc. Is there a reason why y’all couldn’t get into them?
Please don't tell me you read one nigga say this and you trying to use a broad brush to paint everyone else

It’s crazy but niggaz can’t really have real comvos about 90’s music even “older niggaz” that’s 40 right now was only 10 in ‘93…your view about music and tha world of hip-hop was completely different than somebody say 6 years older who was 16 at tha time…

In the 90’s-early 00’s niggas listened to lyrical, spiritual rap just as much as club, ratchet rap…..everybody got love as long as the groove was tight

I’ve never heard of OutKast never receiving love and support. Their first 5 albums are all considered classics and they played a huge role in putting the south on the map

They didn't? Sheeid Kast was heavily played/known down here.

As a New Yorker I know for a FACT niggas loved Outkast up here….which is hard to say cause NY always been critical of rap from other coasts

So I know y’all had to love em much more than we did

Back