Welcome To aBlackWeb

Does ego/pride stunt our building together?

Does ego/pride stunt our building together?

• Yep

Votes: 6 85.7%
  • Nah

Votes: 1 14.3%
  • Niggas is hoes

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
71YxVWjZP1L.jpg

To answer the question, yes.

To comment on the clip tho....I hate when somebody qualifies us as being the worst at something. I agree with what Kev saying, but him starting off with "our culture fucks it up with the most" rubbed me the wrong way. I fuckin hate that shit. Say something is a problem without all the qualifiers.

Also...while I agree with him saying there's no ego in helping ppl out bc he knows it takes nothing from him being Kevin hart....he can say that now that he is Kevin Hartā„¢ļø. But did he feel that way when he was coming up and tryna get on? Or is this a new realization he came to after the bag was secured multiple times over? Not tryna start nothin im just wondering. Cuz I feel like you have to have that ego to be where he is or to be where Jay is, lebron, etc.

Last edited:

To comment on the clip tho....I hate when somebody qualifies us as being the worst at something. I agree with what Kev saying, but him starting off with "our culture fucks it up with the most" rubbed me the wrong way. I fuckin hate that shit. Say something is a problem without all the qualifiers.

Also...while I agree with him saying there's no ego in helping ppl out bc he knows it takes nothing from him being Kevin hart....he can say that now that he is Kevin Hartā„¢ļø. But did he feel that way when he was coming up and tryna get on? Or is this a new realization he came to after the bag was secured multiple times over? Not tryna start nothin im just wondering. Cuz I feel like you have to have that ego to be where he is or to be where Jay is, lebron, etc.
Good points

I think sometimes it can be both ego and enough for everyone.
I think what messed things up is laziness and idea stealing. There is a way for us both to do the same thing but itā€™s the straight idea theft I think people have an issue with

Black people really think we can build each other up by saying how trash we are first. Niggas think black folks never work together to build anything but in turn donā€™t even use real examples if black unity. Like everybody they grew up with was greedy

People give you more value when you got money.

I could say something now for free and it means nothing to people

But let me make some money, they'll pay me more money to say the same shit they could have heard for free a year prior.

And that's not a black problem, that's a natural characteristic of people. The person with more money opinions hold more weight. And the danger in that is that people with money buy into their own hype. They think their opinions are more profound and absolute because they got dough. And it makes for overly obnoxious entitled takes on shit....

Tired of these entertainers that claim they're sooo pro black, but love recycling white racist talking points. Next he's gunna ask why so many foreign POC do better than a lot of POC here and call anyone black here thats poor lazy.

And his point about no ego's with the people he works with has so many holes in it. Does he think all the people he named that partner and work with him because they have no ego?? Would all the people he named return his calls and put their name next to his if he was just selling out shows in small comedy clubs? He partially has his head up his own ass on this one. If he wasnt doing stadiums and blockbluster movies, Jay would have his people make up a reason not to partner on most that shit. Hell, he prob wouldnt even have dudes new number.

Pride and ego doesn't stunt anything.

It's that being financially insecure makes people hungry. Black people with money compared to White people with money is vastly different. They have different financial backgrounds and their parents have a different education profile. Money makes money. They are educated. Their parents are educated.

The original founders Facebook of broke up? Why? There was billions of dollars on the line and everyone wanted a piece.

The original founders of PayPal broke up. Why? They wanted to do other things.

The original founders of Apple Broke up. Why? They wanted to do other things.

Why Black folk love searching for the answers to poverty and lack of capital development on everything but actual material conditions.

Pride and ego makes you believe you can change things.

And when you finally do make it, there's nothing wrong splitting the pie up and going your separate ways. White people do it, Asian people do it, everybody does it.

I hate when people generalize about anything. I admit I do it sometimes also, but itā€™s rarely in a public forum and usually in jest. even on here I usually answer stuff very measured and with context because damn near nothing is 100% black & white.

I say all of that to say thisā€¦ā€¦. People are people, and some folks who get on help others, while some folks who get on do not help others. It isnā€™t black thing, Itā€™s a person thing.

Itā€™s crazy to me how our own really out here believing and perpetuating that only these negative stereotype belong to us.

No.

Lack of community, lack of resources, lack of ownership.

Red-lining is the reason we can't build or sustain what we have built. That's what keeps us from home ownership, which allows for gentrifcation. That keeps us as guests in our own communities, lack of community and equity keeps us from having pride in our community. Compounded by worse schools due to the lack of property taxes that should fund them. Worse educational outcomes that perpetuate the cycle and fuel the school to prison pipeline.

But no, I don't think its pride or ego keep us from building. Its systemic racism and how deeply engrained it is at all levels.

I agree with everything except the bolded tho

cuz I believe those guys u used as examples only really started peaking once they let go of their egos and started being willing to work with others who really helped them elevate

it takes ego to believe in ur own talent, which should inspire u to work hard

but generally folks can't really make it to the next level until they are really willing to work with others

in the black community, we actually do have a lot of cultural issues that make it hard to work with one another

if black people across the world actually came together we could literally be the global superpower just off of natural resources alone......just imagine if we had a black version of Amazon

but we generally don't even feel comfortable working with our next door neighbor, and even our suburban raised kids even running around talmbout they got "opps" SMH

I agree with everything except the bolded tho

cuz I believe those guys u used as examples only really started peaking once they let go of their egos and started being willing to work with others who really helped them elevate

it takes ego to believe in ur own talent, which should inspire u to work hard

but generally folks can't really make it to the next level until they are really willing to work with others

in the black community, we actually do have a lot of cultural issues that make it hard to work with one another

if black people across the world actually came together we could literally be the global superpower just off of natural resources alone......just imagine if we had a black version of Amazon

but we generally don't even feel comfortable working with our next door neighbor, and even our suburban raised kids even running around talmbout they got "opps" SMH
Goat and lol
You are both right.
You need an ego and inflated view of self because so many people will easily tell us what you canā€™t do and can discourage people out of their dream or away from their purpose.
but the ego can get out of control at times or misunderstood.
As far as working togetherā€¦.yea shit can be difficult outside of just ego but it does play a huge role.

I don't think it's ego at all. When ego gets involved, it's a problem. That said, I think it's a bigger problem that we can't agree on a strategy for handling our problems, and we don't seem to understand that a strategy can be multipronged. Instead, of Malcolm X looking at MLK, and saying "Hey, you do your thing. We'll do our thing, and we'll make these CACs fight a war on two fronts." Malcolm spent time tearing down MLK and the others. Then when he saw the error of his ways, he was basically kicked out of the NOI, so he didn't have the power anymore.

You still see that today. Sure, there are coons in this world, but how many times have we seen a black person being called a coon or sellout just because they are trying a different strategy for solving a problem than others?

I don't think it's ego at all. When ego gets involved, it's a problem. That said, I think it's a bigger problem that we can't agree on a strategy for handling our problems, and we don't seem to understand that a strategy can be multipronged. Instead, of Malcolm X looking at MLK, and saying "Hey, you do your thing. We'll do our thing, and we'll make these CACs fight a war on two fronts." Malcolm spent time tearing down MLK and the others. Then when he saw the error of his ways, he was basically kicked out of the NOI, so he didn't have the power anymore.

You still see that today. Sure, there are coons in this world, but how many times have we seen a black person being called a coon or sellout just because they are trying a different strategy for solving a problem than others?
this is the bottom line.
No one wants to listen but everyone has the answers.
I think it takes a certain level of being humble to listen without adding to.
I think it takes a certain level of respecting other perspectives. While we are all black, we have different experiences. That gets lost in the unity vs uniform type conversations. Someone is good at something and itā€™s ok to listen. It should be ok to ask for help and it should be ok to respect their expertise. i think thatā€™s when ego and pride comes in at. The @ Iā€™m not asking him for shitā€ mentality.

shit, that leads to another conversation I heard which was about agreeing on shit that ainā€™t got nothing to do with business and/or building.

Why Black folk love searching for the answers to poverty and lack of capital development on everything but actual material conditions.

Pride and ego makes you believe you can change things.

And when you finally do make it, there's nothing wrong splitting the pie up and going your separate ways. White people do it, Asian people do it, everybody does it.
Pride (ego) is the concept of putting yourself and your personal wants first before those around you.

We donā€™t need pride to believe squat. We need trust + confidence. Trust in something greater beyond ourselves. Which is then extended to one another and thereby handed back to us. But weā€™ve betrayed the concept of trust way too many times to each other by now.

Back