Welcome To aBlackWeb

Do You Remember Your First First Day Cop?

5 Grand

Old School Godfather
Do you remember the first time you went to the store to buy an album the first day it came out?

For me it was Raising Hell - Run DMC. May 1986.

It was the end of 7th grade. Me and my homie took the bus from school into Boston to a store that we knew would have it. Back then all stores didn't carry Rap albums.

Somehow we got separated. We met up a few hours later. I bought the vinyl, he bought the tape. CDs weren't out yet, or if they were I didn't know anybody that owned a CD player.

On a side note, I remember people saying "CDs sound better". I didn't know what that meant at the time, and I wanted to be a DJ so I was buying records.

Then I became one of those people that said "vinyl sounds better" which is nonsense. CDs sound better than vinyl. No comparison.

First cd I bought myself was DMX "It's Dark and Hell Is Hot".
First cd ever was 2pac "Strictly 4 My Niggaz", my big homie bought it for me.

I'm asking when was the first time you bought an album on the first day it came out.

Not the first CD you bought.

T.I. Trap Muzik

I was 13 at the time and it was the first album I recall buying on my own and counting the days until release. 24's had me hooked and Be Easy showed me that TIP could really spit.

To this day I firmly believe that Trap Muzik is an undeniable classic. So many memories stem from this album for me. From Rubber Band Man having me walking around with rubber bands on my wrist, as if I knew what it signified, to Let's Get Away being the soundtrack of my first real dealings with girlfriends etc. KING is what really made TIP a household name but Trap Muzik doesn't get the full love it deserves.

If KING was Vol. 2/GKMC.
Trap Muzik was Reasonable Doubt/Section.80.

The first hip hop CD I bought was Coolio's 'Gangsta's Paradise' single, I would had been 9 or 10 at time... Im not sure if bought it with pocket or birthday money though...

I think the first hip hop album I bought with my own money was Will Smith's 'Big Willie Style', I had a voucher from my 11th or 12th birthday and bought that album with it...

edit: just seen it was first day cops, fck knows I cant remember that haha

Gods Son

I was in 8th grade.

I actually cut school went to the mall/Sam Goody and copped. Caught a bus and just rode listening on my discman

Back