Welcome To aBlackWeb

Do People Still Do Remixes?

5 Grand

Old School Godfather
Remember back in the 90s you'd buy an album and the version of the song you liked wasn't on the album? Remember the One More Chance/Stay With Me Remix?

Black Moon had some good remixes
Snoop and Dre had some remixes

Just about everybody made a remix in the mid 90s. Some were pointless. Usually the original was fine and they'd simply change the beat and call it a "remix". Sometimes the whole song was different, different lyrics and beat.

Do people still do remixes?

It made sense when people were buying albums, and you could release a cassette single or a CD single with a different version of the song and charge $4.99. Nowadays with streaming, I don't see how you'd make any money remixing a song.

These days it's mostly just a bigger artist donating a verse to an already established song.

The closest we have in recent times is the "remix" of a song with the same exact beat and a more famous artist adding a throwaway verse on it to leach off the clout. Shout out to Busta Rhymes and Jay-z for mastering that wave

The alternative is when a song gets hot and people make their own version of it like you see with Scarlip This is New York. This is basically the "Detroit vs Everybody" t-shirt becoming the "Insert city here vs everybody t-shirt" in rap form.

The version of Old Town Road that broke all the records was the remix with Billy Ray Cyrus. Beyonce hopping on the "Savage" remix was news. Ice Spice just did a remix with Taylor Swift and that's the biggest music artist in the world right there.

Remixes didn't go away, what changed is how artists organize and sequence their albums. Streaming definitely factors into that as you said.

It used to be common to let your DJ shine on a instrumental solo track in the 80s.

Then in the 90s albums would have a bunch of skits and 5 remixes with different producers at the end as bonus tracks.

By the 2000s most producers got into the habit of releasing their own remix mixtapes.

but remixing still dominates entire genres like EDM, dancehall, etc

The closest we have in recent times is the "remix" of a song with the same exact beat and a more famous artist adding a throwaway verse on it to leach off the clout. Shout out to Busta Rhymes and Jay-z for mastering that wave

The alternative is when a song gets hot and people make their own version of it like you see with Scarlip This is New York. This is basically the "Detroit vs Everybody" t-shirt becoming the "Insert city here vs everybody t-shirt" in rap form.

Like "Flava in Ya Ear"? Those posse cut remixes where everyone wants part of a classic beat will always be around

The days of the remix having a completely different beat is over. Off the top one the last real hip hop remix was this.

Outta Control original

Outta Control Remix

Lol what?? When did they ever stop. Regardless how folks spin what a remix is in their mind there have been alot of remixes every year.

Lol what?? When did they ever stop. Regardless how folks spin what a remix is in their mind there have been alot of remixes every year.

Well I remember in the late 90s/early 2000s "Remixes" were considered a big deal. Puffy even claimed he "invented the Remix" as if that's a good thing.

Personally, with a few exceptions, I never liked the idea of a Remix and I thought Puffy was corny for taking credit for such a thing.

Because if a song is recorded properly, there's no reason to remix it.

When you remix a song it implies that the original song wasn't perfect in the first place. I like it when there's one version of a song, and that song is perfect. I always hated buying a single with 3 or 4 different versions of the same song, as if the record label couldn't decide which version to release, so they released 3 versions of the same song. Usually it's only 1 version that you really like.

If possible, I'd like to take it back to the day of 1 version of a song. Not 5 different versions of a song with different beats and lyrics. That's a waste of time and resources.

Back