Welcome To aBlackWeb

DMX Spotted In New York Filming Music Video With The LOX!

Cool, but it's funny as hell seeing old niggas rap. I ain't knocking it. I'm just saying rap always seemed like a young man's sport. Now that I'm getting old, I'm glad these dudes holding on.

Cool, but it's funny as hell seeing old niggas rap. I ain't knocking it. I'm just saying rap always seemed like a young man's sport. Now that I'm getting old, I'm glad these dudes holding on.

Just imagine how the old school MCs (Kool Moe Dee, Grandmaster Caz, Melle Mel, Kurtis Blow, etc.) feel.

Some of those guys can still rap, but they get no love from the younger generation.

Just imagine how the old school MCs (Kool Moe Dee, Grandmaster Caz, Melle Mel, Kurtis Blow, etc.) feel.

Some of those guys can still rap, but they get no love from the younger generation.

You know what? To some extent, you gotta blame them dudes. The 90s rappers are still making money and doing shows. The younger generation isn't necessarily checking for them, but they are still keeping connected to their established fanbase. I could be wrong, but when I was coming, I didn't really see them old dudes doing much new music. They kinda just feel off and then started complaining that no one was taking care of them. Look at the Wu for instance. Ghost and Rae are probably as active as some of these young kids trying to make it. They aren't getting that much love from the younger generation, but they are still recognized as making good music.

Its more so that their style is outdated.

Caz can prolly jump on a posse cut with today's rappers and you wouldn't notice he was old school.

Not so much the others.

Rakim was still killing tracks when he signed to aftermath, but that's cuz he never stopped. Mc ren is still dope.

But hov is prolly the most consistent that's been rapping since the 80s and can still get love from the younger generation. Because he kills the track and does not just rap well.

You know what? To some extent, you gotta blame them dudes. The 90s rappers are still making money and doing shows. The younger generation isn't necessarily checking for them, but they are still keeping connected to their established fanbase. I could be wrong, but when I was coming, I didn't really see them old dudes doing much new music. They kinda just feel off and then started complaining that no one was taking care of them. Look at the Wu for instance. Ghost and Rae are probably as active as some of these young kids trying to make it. They aren't getting that much love from the younger generation, but they are still recognized as making good music.

I bumped into Caz at a Zulu Nation party around 2005 and I asked him about that.

He said when they first started Rapper'd Delight hadn't even come out yet. So there was no standard. All of the old school groups (Cold Crush, Treacherous Three, Fearless Four, Crash Crew, Funky 4+1) had no idea that Hip Hop was hitting outside of the Tri -State so they just did shows around The Bronx and Harlem, while the people that understood what was going on (Africa Bambaattaa, Kurtis Blow, Grandmaster Flash and the Furious 5, Sugarhill Gang and a few others) were touring up and down the East Coast and appearing on Soul Train.

But that generation had absolutely no idea what they were doing or how the music industry worked. As a result, a lot of those groups have tapes of their shows from the early 80s that sound like they were recorded over the telephone, but they only have a few songs when they were in their prime (1980-1984).

So they can't really tour because they never made an album and really only have two or three songs that they're known for, if that.

To have a show, you'd need all of the groups I named to come out and perform the two best songs that they're known for. But alas, those guys don't get along with each other. They're all bitter because Run DMC came and took their shine and they all fell off around 1984/85. In 1984 Run DMC, Whodini, Fat Boys, and Kurtis Blow all dropped classic albums while the real old school cats were sitting around with their thumbs up their asses wondering why they can't get any gigs.

I bumped into Caz at a Zulu Nation party around 2005 and I asked him about that.

He said when they first started Rapper'd Delight hadn't even come out yet. So there was no standard. All of the old school groups (Cold Crush, Treacherous Three, Fearless Four, Crash Crew, Funky 4+1) had no idea that Hip Hop was hitting outside of the Tri -State so they just did shows around The Bronx and Harlem, while the people that understood what was going on (Africa Bambaattaa, Kurtis Blow, Grandmaster Flash and the Furious 5, Sugarhill Gang and a few others) were touring up and down the East Coast and appearing on Soul Train.

But that generation had absolutely no idea what they were doing or how the music industry worked. As a result, a lot of those groups have tapes of their shows from the early 80s that sound like they were recorded over the telephone, but they only have a few songs when they were in their prime (1980-1984).

So they can't really tour because they never made an album and really only have two or three songs that they're known for, if that.

To have a show, you'd need all of the groups I named to come out and perform the two best songs that they're known for. But alas, those guys don't get along with each other. They're all bitter because Run DMC came and took their shine and they all fell off around 1984/85. In 1984 Run DMC, Whodini, Fat Boys, and Kurtis Blow all dropped classic albums while the real old school cats were sitting around with their thumbs up their asses wondering why they can't get any gigs.

Sounds about right. That's sad, but what can you do? Them dudes didn't have the foresight to really push their craft as far as it could go, and then instead of reaching out to others when things started popping off they burned bridges. Basically, they were instrumental in building the music form, but played no part in building the business side of it and now they aren't able to reap any of the benefits associated with the business side.

Back