Welcome To aBlackWeb

Comedian Byron Allen Buys the Weather Channel for $300 Million

Goldie

Kobe With The Pivot
Site Owner
GetFile.aspx

Comedian and producer Byron Allen acquired the Weather Channel TV network as he looks to expand his film and TV production company into a major media business.

Allen’s Entertainment Studios Inc. bought the network from Blackstone Group, Bain Capital and Comcast Corp., according to a statement Thursday. The price was approximately $300 million, according to a person familiar with the terms who wasn’t authorized to speak publicly and asked not to be identified. That’s a fraction of what the larger company sold for a decade ago.

The deal includes the famous cable TV network, but not online assets such as the website Weather.com and related mobile apps, which were acquired by International Business Machines Corp. in January 2016. In an interview on a day in which rain and snow blanketed much of the U.S., Allen said he was attracted to the reach and familiarity of the brand.

“Snowstorms, rain, mudslides, our lives and our families’ safety depend on this info,” Allen said. “When a big storm happens, it’s the Super Bowl of weather. As many as 30 million people watch.”

Allen’s company produces and syndicates TV shows and has released films, such as last year’s thriller “47 Meters Down.” It also owns Comedy.tv and Cars.tv, which are distributed online and through pay-TV providers.

Allen said he want to invest more in the Weather Channel, expanding both its international and local distribution. It’s part of a broader strategy to invest what he said would be billions of dollars in the media and entertainment industry.

The Comcast-Blackstone-Bain-led group had purchased the Weather Channel in 2008 for about $3.5 billion. A spokesman for Blackstone declined to comment.

Everything's moving to the internet. Hopefully he can make the necessary transition from tv to internet.

damn...it was bought for 3.5B 10 yrs ago and he copped for $300M 10 yrs later

talk about a come up

ehhhh

gotta give a financial group more credit than that

I mean some make bad investments but im sure there's a reason the value dropped so much

They most likely saw this coming years ago and decided to get out from under it

Wish him well but you know this game is rigged

Everything's moving to the internet. Hopefully he can make the necessary transition from tv to internet.

didnt even think about that.....thats definitely a huge part of this steal

Had no clue that corny mofo was that rich.. i mean i dont give a fuck about what he has but i was surprised when i read it last night ol candy man lookin ass

this was like three days ago.....i thought you would have had it up already...

since certain people always saying a thread is already made.

this was like three days ago.....i thought you would have had it up already...

since certain people always saying a thread is already made.
then make the thread

you need to stop merging my shit.
or see these hands...ill give it a week and come back to ask what you choose
i didnt merge anything

you realize im not the only mod here right?

First off, I had no idea Byron Allen even had that kinda money.

I only remember him as a wannabe Arsenio Hall copycat from that stupid show he had back in the day.

Second, why would he spend $300 million on the weather channel?

Definitely not a come-up, because Bain Capital and Comcast wouldn't have sold it that low if it wasn't worth a lot less.......or they saw it being worth a lot less a few years down the line.

They're probably surprised they were even able to unload it.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1/2
wait hold up... Byron Allen has enough cash to buy a damn TV network?

Byron Allen?

I need to step my game up.

Back