Welcome To aBlackWeb

Chicago father beaten to death while hanging holiday lights

As Jose Tellez hung Christmas lights outside his Gage Park home Saturday, his 14-year-old daughter stayed indoors, but was never far away.
She was close enough that when she suddenly heard screaming outside her home in the 3500 block of West 58th Street about 6:30 p.m., she saw the unthinkable.

“She looked out the window and observed two (men) approximately 20-30 years of age, (one) wearing a black sweater, and one wearing a gray sweater, beating her father with sticks,” according to a Chicago Police Department report.
A supplemental report told much the same narrative, but said Tellez had been “putting up Christmas lights when (two men) exited a red sedan and began striking (Tellez) in the face and head with a bat.” Police previously had only said Tellez was struck with “blunt objects.”

In one line the police report said Tellez “suffered facial and skull fractures,” while another said he suffered “blunt trauma to the face and head.”
Tellez’s death was ruled a homicide, the result of multiple craniocerebral injuries, the primary cause a*sault, according to the Cook County medical examiner’s office.

For friends and family members, like Daisy Castro, who set up a verified GoFundMe page for her relative, the loss is profound and jarring.
“He was a loving husband, father, brother and son. He leaves behind a wife and three children. At this time we kindly ask for prayers,” she wrote.
Nearly 400 people had donated more than $17,000 in about 48 hours, far exceeding the goal of $10,000 to be used for funeral expenses.
And while the police report said authorities had identified and detained a person of interest around the same time Castro launched the GoFundMe two days earlier, a spokesman for the department Tuesday night said there was no one in custody.

People are quick to donate money but we don’t even know why he was beaten to begin with
Not much information is needed to want to throw a little help to help a family bury their father.

The risk it represents to you---him doing something objectionable, that led to his murder---is minuscule in comparison to the good it can do for his family.

Last edited:
Not much information is needed to want to throw a little help to help a family bury their father.

The risk it represents to you---him doing something objectionable, that led to his murder---is minuscule in comparison to the good it can do for his family.
No it’s fine I don’t have a problem with it I just think we are sometimes too quick in certain situations to blindly support

The timing of my comments probably aren’t the best as it probably comes across tasteless but I didn’t see the window to say it at another time

seriously ?
I wouldn’t have made this comment at all at any other time

And yeah I know, maybe you would say that’s a good thing. But the thread simply made me think of gofundmes and money to ppl and families that didn’t deserve it. Not saying it’s the case for the guy in this thread but we don’t know what’s going on and they got $17k from ppl so far

Maybe people don’t wanna see this comment or don’t agree or feel I shouldn’t have said it here and that’s fine I get it. But on a public forum you gonna have to read stuff you think is shitty sometimes. That’s just the way it is as it’s Just my thoughts.

I’m sorry

I wouldn’t have made this comment at all at any other time

And yeah I know, maybe you would say that’s a good thing. But the thread simply made me think of gofundmes and money to ppl and families that didn’t deserve it. Not saying it’s the case for the guy in this thread but we don’t know what’s going on and they got $17k from ppl so far

Maybe people don’t wanna see this comment or don’t agree or feel I shouldn’t have said it here and that’s fine I get it. But on a public forum you gonna have to read stuff you think is shitty sometimes. That’s just the way it is as it’s Just my thoughts.

I’m sorry
Mans wanna be dos sooooo bad

Back