Welcome To aBlackWeb

Koltrain

I don't really have high expectations of this show based on trailers I've seen, but I'm a fan of Ced, so I figured I check it out. Anybody else watch the first episode? Don't think it'll last past one season..

Agree with most points made. It wasn't clever at all. They're just reversing the "there goes the neighborhood" roles.

Ced isn't funny in this. They should have wrote him to where he can use his natural comedic talent.

The deadbeat son supposed to be the funny one but he's not.

The engineer soonu is actually the funniest.

The white girl is trying to hard, though I did like her in 2 Broke Girls.

Pam is muted, so neither bad nor good.

White guy is token with no personality.

Ced talked about it on Breakfast Club. He basically said that the show was the brainchild of a white dude who was part of a gentrification wave. Ced said he got onto the project to give the other perspective. I don't know. It didn't sound all that interesting to me, but it's CBS, so you have to remember that it's supposed to appeal to a pretty white audience.

Didnt see it wont watch.. but i saw someting in passing that . this is some sort of thing there are a handfull of these gentrification shows..

sidebar i hate shows that put white people in them... not for the fact they are in them but for obvious bullshit Network reasons.. They do it so cheesily and obvious. The 90's was rife with this shit..

Didnt see it wont watch.. but i saw someting in passing that . this is some sort of thing there are a handfull of these gentrification shows..

sidebar i hate shows that put white people in them... not for the fact they are in them but for obvious bullshit Network reasons.. They do it so cheesily and obvious. The 90's was rife with this shit..

I know what you're talking about, but that doesn't really apply here. The show is about gentrification, so the white guy is pivotal. This show is basically a new millennium subversion of All in the Family after the Jeffersons got there..

I know what you're talking about, but that doesn't really apply here. The show is about gentrification, so the white guy is pivotal. This show is basically a new millennium subversion of All in the Family after the Jeffersons got there..
nah im aware of the premise but its a crutch to "broaden" the demographic as much as it is its own premise.. or am i just that cynical

nah im aware of the premise but its a crutch to "broaden" the demographic as much as it is its own premise.. or am i just that cynical

I think you're being cynical in this case. If you believe Ced, the show kinda worked out organically. This white guy that was part of the gentrification wave wrote a book about it and was pushing it. Ced got wind of it and decided it could be interesting if they added the black side to it also to kinda balance it out. Ced was the one that shopped it to CBS and got it on air. Now CBS might have greenlit the show in order to broaden its overall demographic, but the show itself was always based on that premise.

aight i gotcha.. i cant remember the last sitcom other than blackish that i watched or had the interest in watchin..

I tried marlon for the first episode and as like nah.. We are in such a fragmented entertainment landscape alot of shit cant even really be appreciated

Ced talked about it on Breakfast Club. He basically said that the show was the brainchild of a white dude who was part of a gentrification wave. Ced said he got onto the project to give the other perspective. I don't know. It didn't sound all that interesting to me, but it's CBS, so you have to remember that it's supposed to appeal to a pretty white audience.

lol so ced basically said "if you watch it, you watch it. If you dont, you dont." lmao

lol so ced basically said "if you watch it, you watch it. If you dont, you dont." lmao

Honestly, I don't think we're the target audience of the show. I mean the hope is it will bring some black viewings in, but CBS is probably hoping that it will be something that would give off the impression of diversity without chasing away their real demographic.

Back