Welcome To aBlackWeb

Poll Capability vs the field?

What criteria do you favor?

• Total voters

Duwop

You're the target, not the victim 🧐
Mod Squad
When judging, ranking, or critiquing an artist verse, song, or album... Do you go based of what you know they can do? Or do you rank it based on the field?

I'll use Jay an example

Some people say the Carter's is one of the better albums of the year.... Where as some won't even give it a consideration because both individually are capable of much better...

That might be a bad example, but i hope y'all get the jest....

When judging, ranking, or critiquing an artist verse, song, or album... Do you go based of what you know they can do? Or do you rank it based on the field?

I'll use Jay an example

Some people say the Carter's is one of the better albums of the year.... Where as some won't even give it a consideration because both individually are capable of much better...

That might be a bad example, but i hope y'all get the jest....

First and foremost, THIW.

If what you mean by "field" is what's currently hot then, no. An artist should always be held to the standard of making good music.

I don't factor what they did in the past when judging the artist new projects. If it's wack then that particular project is wack on it's own.
i say that cuz people are going back n forth over jay verse on my time line..

some saying the shit A+

others saying Jay is capable of better and his verses as a whole been significantly worse as of late....

or like when em was battling mgk.. it was like

eh it was okay, but i expect more from em

First and foremost, THIW.

If what you mean by "field" is what's currently hot then, no. An artist should always be held to the standard of making good music.
what i'm saying is if say little wayne gets on a song with....uzi vert and yachty or whatever... and he kills them both...song is a hit.. ...dominating the charts...

but as far as a wayne verse it's not a top 10, top 50, or even a top 100 verse...a s far as wayne goes it's a largely forgettable verse..

how do u rate that?

is it still considered hot?

shit could arguably be verse f the year, but cuz of the artist and their potential, are u gonna call it wack?

what i'm saying is if say little wayne gets on a song with....uzi vert and yachty or whatever... and he kills them both...song is a hit.. ...dominating the charts...

but as far as a wayne verse it's not a top 10, top 50, or even a top 100 verse...a s far as wayne goes it's a largely forgettable verse..

how do u rate that?

is it still considered hot?

shit could arguably be verse f the year, but cuz of the artist and their potential, are u gonna call it wack?

A hot verse is a hot verse. It doesn't matter if it's not a great lyricist's best verse. If it's hot, it's hot.

I tend to compare new work to previous work. It's not a good habit, but it's hard not to when you get gems and classics from an artist and then the new stuff doesn't hit like that. In the end it just leads to judging the work more harshly than it might deserve

I tend to compare new work to previous work. It's not a good habit, but it's hard not to when you get gems and classics from an artist and then the new stuff doesn't hit like that. In the end it just leads to judging the work more harshly than it might deserve
yea this happened to 4:44

it was maybe jay's 6th best album??? so it didn't get a lot of the praise it deserved as one of the better albums of that year...simply because it wasn't one of the better albums of his career

yea this happened to 4:44

it was maybe jay's 6th best album??? so it didn't get a lot of the praise it deserved as one of the better albums of that year...simply because it wasn't one of the better albums of his career

I'd rate it higher than that, but I'm bias because I like No ID a lot

Jay might get that criticism the most now that I think about it.

i say that cuz people are going back n forth over jay verse on my time line..

some saying the shit A+

others saying Jay is capable of better and his verses as a whole been significantly worse as of late....

or like when em was battling mgk.. it was like

eh it was okay, but i expect more from em

This is partially because there are more casual Jay fans vs the ones whom been listening since reasonable doubt.

This is a great thread premise. I'm gonna think on it before I give a full response.

Jay, Nas and Em
I think most of end albums are wack because he never brings it like I know he can... Yet dude has a ridiculous amount of die hard fans.

Everytime I hear em spit.... No matter how good it is, I'll turn my nose up cuz I know he can do better.

Back