Welcome To aBlackWeb

C.C. Sabathia Rips MLB for Alienating Black Athletes: "This Sport Is Not For Us"

This is the dumbest shit i have read in a while. He is basically saying MLB is anti black bcuz they don't like niggas celebrating after a good play. He makes it sound like that's all niggas bring to the game is showmanship. Foh. The reason blacks are not playing baseball is bcuz they don't take up the game in their youth. It's a very expensive game to try to get kids started in. Also football and basketball are just more popular in most areas. There are thousands of high schools that don't even have baseball teams.

When a black star rose, Tim Anderson, the media complained and whined that he’s cocky. I hardly see him marketed despite the fact he’s one of the best players in the league. You not gonna get a plethora of young black kids wanting to play baseball when they hardly see stars that look like them

This is the dumbest shit i have read in a while. He is basically saying MLB is anti black bcuz they don't like niggas celebrating after a good play. He makes it sound like that's all niggas bring to the game is showmanship. Foh. The reason blacks are not playing baseball is bcuz they don't take up the game in their youth. It's a very expensive game to try to get kids started in. Also football and basketball are just more popular in most areas. There are thousands of high schools that don't even have baseball teams.

The crackdown on celebrations aren't the reason that black americans have basically been phased out of the game. However, he's not wrong to suggest their is some anti-blackness at play when they attempt to clamp down on celebrations. Like it or not, black people tend to be the ones to bring the more showy antics to these sports. Clamping down on that isn't even new. Both the NBA and NFL have done it in the past.

They aren't the Ken Griffey and barry bonds types. The homegrown in america type.

A lot of those players are Latino before being black, if they even claim black.

I mean yea it’s a different culture but it ain’t like we are that interested in baseball out of big three sports it’s the most boring.

Baseball, like boxing, is often a father son sport. It requires someone passing down knowledge, word of mouth, since it's highly specialized. You need countless hours of training on your own, starting very young to even have a chance of being a professional.

Football and Basketball are team sports that don't require this individualized transmission of knowledge.

These sports are highly social, viral even.

While baseball and boxing are secret paternalistic sport societies.

Without elder Black men, teaching young Black boys the game and culture of baseball, of course there will be no Black baseball players.

Look at the decline of Black boxers.

You see more Black UFC fighters than boxers because like a basketball and football, it's a social sport. Guys train together in teams, show each other moves, and shit. Knowledge is easily spread.

I mean yea it’s a different culture but it ain’t like we are that interested in baseball out of big three sports it’s the most boring.

This.

Compared to the other two bigger leagues.. MLB hasn't made any REAL effort bring interest to their sport from black folks.

Outta the 3...its the only one still tryin to hold on to whateva old traditions it has left. I went to one MLB game years ago. Granted I enjoyed myself...but it didn't turn me into fan.

This.

Compared to the other two bigger leagues.. MLB hasn't made any REAL effort bring interest to their sport from black folks.

Outta the 3...its the only one still tryin to hold on to whateva old traditions it has left. I went to one MLB game years ago. Granted I enjoyed myself...but it didn't turn me into fan.

To be fair, the NBA and NFL don't do anything to endear themselves to Black people. In fact, you could argue the opposite. A lot of the actions those leagues take are basically done to distance themselves from the blackness of the players. At the end of the day, baseball isn't as athletic or as exciting a sport, so it doesn't interest a lot of black people.

To be fair, the NBA and NFL don't do anything to endear themselves to Black people. In fact, you could argue the opposite. A lot of the actions those leagues take are basically done to distance themselves from the blackness of the players. At the end of the day, baseball isn't as athletic or as exciting a sport, so it doesn't interest a lot of black people.

What????

Brotha look at the NBA for exactly. It's damn immersed itself in the black culture. From the style...look...the products....the programs...etc. etc.

Yeah they tried to distance themselves from that years ago. But all that did was made us Pivot another directions to where now they've just accepted it. I've seen a LOT more effort wit them than the other 2 league.

What????

Brotha look at the NBA for exactly. It's damn immersed itself in the black culture. From the style...look...the products....the programs...etc. etc.

Yeah they tried to distance themselves from that years ago. But all that did was made us Pivot another directions to where now they've just accepted it. I've seen a LOT more effort wit them than the other 2 league.

Bruh, you're literally just saying that the NBA is letting the players be themselves. It's a majority black league, so them simply embracing the desires and identities of their talent isn't some great outreach to black people. It's pretty much the bare minimum they can do. And as you noted, even that is coming after an actual effort by the NBA to try and stomp out the blackness in the NBA culture. Literally, all the league is doing now is allowing itself to transition back to what's natural for a league full of black people.

MLB was never as black as the NBA or NFL, so of course the culture isn't as black. However, that shouldn't be confused with a difference in the effort to reach out to the black community. If MLB was 90% black players, the culture would look more like what you see with the NFL and NBA.

Back