Welcome To aBlackWeb

BLM co-founder calls for abolishment of surveillance cameras, jails and prisons

keemz

#gaza4eva #freeKartel #FreeSiva
BLM co-founder calls for abolishment of surveillance cameras, jails and prisons in the wake of Ma’khiah Bryant shooting and Derek chauvin conviction
Patrisse Cullors posted a video on Instagram Thursday to her 371,000 followers
She said now is the time to 'f*ght for more' and 'get us closer to a place where there are no jails or prisons or surveillance' in America

Cullors said she hopes Chauvin's conviction 'makes George Floyd's family feel better' but said Floyd would still be alive if the justice system had been abolished

She said Bryant's 'murder' also shows there is 'no justice' for black people

Chauvin was found guilty of all charges Tuesday in the murder of Floyd, after the white cop knelt on the black man's neck for more than nine minutes

Just minutes before he was convicted, black 16-year-old Bryant was shot dead by a cop in Columbus, Ohio, while lunging at a woman with a knife

Cullors has long called for the abolition of the criminal justice system as it is today, including its prisons, police, ICE detention centers and jails

Instead, she calls for a move to transformative justice with law enforcement funding redirected to initiatives that directly serve communities

Cullors has come under scrutiny of late after it emerged she had accrued a $3 million property empire of four homes in recent years
Black Lives Matter co-founder Patrisse Cullors has said Derek Chauvin's conviction was a 'victory in accountability' but George Floyd's murder and the cop k*lling of Ma'Khia Bryant prove the criminal justice system is 'broken' and should be abolished.

Cullors, who set up BLM with Alicia Garza and Opal Tometi back in 2013, posted a video on Instagram Thursday where she told her 371,000 followers that now was the time to 'f*ght for more' and 'get us closer to a place where there are no jails or prisons or surveillance' in America.

Chauvin was found guilty of all charges Tuesday in the murder of Floyd, after the white cop knelt on the black man's neck for more than nine minutes during an arrest in Minneapolis last May.

Cullors welcomed the guilty verdict handed down to Chauvin in the hope that it 'makes George Floyd's family feel better'.

'When I heard the guilty verdicts I felt two things. I felt a big overwhelming sense of I hope that makes George Floyd's family feel better. I hope they feel some justice was given to them,' she said.

But she also questioned whether the outcome should be celebrated as she said Floyd would still be alive if the criminal justice system had been abolished as there would be no police, prisons or surveillance.

'I also felt like I am ready to f*ght for more. I am ready to move us toward abolition,' she said.

'I'm ready to get us closer to a place where there are no jails or prisons or surveillance.'

That's because there is no justice in this country yet. That's because there is no freedom for black people in this country yet.'

Cullors urged people to 'imagine a world where black people are thriving' and are focused on the lives of black people rather than their deaths.

'This country is so obsessed with black death we need to reimagine black life,' she said.

'Ma'Khia should be with us. George should be with us - that's justice, that's love, that's healing.'

She called on people to 'imagine abolition' as a place 'where black people can live freely, where we can live our full whole lives, where we are not gunned down by the police.'

Cullors has long called for the abolition of the criminal justice system as it is today, including its prisons, police, ICE detention centers and jails.

Instead, she calls for a move to transformative justice with law enforcement funding redirected to initiatives that directly serve communities, such as through education, healthcare and community programs.

The BLM co-founder is set to release her new book about abolition in October, titled 'An Abolitionist's Handbook: 12 Steps to Change Yourself and the World'.

Her comments come as Chauvin awaits his June sentencing for the murder of Floyd, with a maximum sentence of 40 years.

It emerged Friday that the Department of Justice is now investigating whether to bring federal charges against him over both Floyd's death and a separate 2017 incident where he knelt on a black 14-year-old boy's neck for nearly 17 minutes.

Federal prosecutors had witnesses testify before a grand jury two months ago regarding the 2017 incident, it was revealed.

Chauvin has never before faced any charges over this arrest.

Meanwhile, over in Ohio, the investigation continues into the death of Bryant.

Columbus Police Officer Nicholas Reardon shot Bryant four times at around 4.45pm on Tuesday on the 3100 block of Legion Lane while responding to a 911 call about an attempted stabbing.

I've seen plenty of people calling for the end of jails and prisons, but I haven't seen a good alternative. Sure, not every criminal needs to go to prison, and there are probably alternative measures for those people, but we do have hardened criminals in this nature, and I don't really know what you would do in their cases besides send them up.

For the record, neither Ma’khiah Bryant nor George Floyd died due to surveillance cameras, jails or prisons.

This is is beyond strange. Like... I'm against surveillance on civilians and believe 9 times out of 10 there's an alternative to jailing someone but this shit seems extra dodgy like cointelpro style dodgy. It's either a weirdly inappropriate or misguided misappropriation of a movement or a purposeful distraction.

Either way... nah.

Back