Welcome To aBlackWeb

Black Women in the Workplace: We Cannot Be Your Shield and Your Target

DOS_patos

Unverified Legion of Trill member
According to research, Black women make up the majority of those who occupy the role of diversity director/practitioner in the United States. However, within many organizations, Black women are often pigeonholed in this visible-yet-invisible role in which they're expected to be the shield, singularly leading diversity efforts for the institution with little to no substantive support. We're also often made to be targets, where we experience vitriol within the workplace in the form of microaggressions, anti-Blackness, misogynoir, racism, pay inequity, and more. The experience of being made both the shield and the target significantly impacts the physical and mental health of Black women, negatively positioning us in the workplace and causing high turnover rates.

Historically, Black women have been expected to do both roles within the workplace and beyond. In the predominately white spaces that we navigate, everyone turns to us to support and uplift them and lead efforts in activism and justice, yet at the very same time we're on the receiving end of criticism, tone policing, and disrespect.

From my perspective as a Black woman, there is never a time in the workplace when we're not oscillating between being both the shield and the target.

Black women as the shield can be attributed back to the "mammy" stereotype, where Black women were seen as maternal figures and loyal servants. Born on the plantation, the "mammy" trope was perpetuated to justify enslavement, but also to posit the Black woman as the protector of the white family above any and everything, content with being in servitude.

When Black women work within systems and push for accountability or call out racism, the dismissiveness, refusal to listen, or the predictable "why is everything about race with you" happens.

This thinking continues today, but has evolved into Black women becoming the face of an organization, where they are on the front lines to address systemic racism - the very issue they experience on a daily basis. This leads to the tokenization of Black women in an attempt to give an external illusion that an organization values diversity and inclusion, whereas their actions tend to suggest they are value upholding the status quo along with the centering of whiteness. Accordingly, Black women are symbolically used as props, but over time, their mere presence makes them a target.

Milyna Phillips, a diversity practitioner based in Washington DC, painfully shared her experiences within the workplace with POPSUGAR, saying, "It didn't start off adversarial, but eventually became a contentious relationship between me and my employer. It started off as a 'honeymoon phase,' and quickly dissipated to where I regularly experienced misogynoir (anti-Black misogyny specifically directed towards Black women), affecting my mental health and wellness."

In many cases, Black women begin their journey into the workplace with a lot of energy and ideas, ready to do the work to ascend up the company ladder. When those ideas start to challenge the status quo, that's when we begin to feel and sense some pushback. Phillips continued, "When my behavior changed to no longer feeling grateful to have the job and I wasn't intimidated by others who were senior in the organization, this is when the retaliation and sexual assault began."

This phenomenon that Black women experience is known as "pet to the threat," where Black women move quickly from being the most liked to the most despised in the workplace. The more ambitious we are in our own professional growth, the more others become threatened by our confidence. "When I started to question and call out policies that were rooted in unfairness, the more pushback I received," Phillips said. "I remember that's when the gaslighting began."

Racial gaslighting refers to psychological manipulation centered on race in which the manipulator tries to get a person to question their own reality and experiences of racism. When Black women work within systems and push for accountability or call out racism, the dismissiveness, refusal to listen, or the predictable "why is everything about race with you" happens - a common practice in racial gaslighting. Phillips recalled this happening to her, saying, "They denied, ignored, and blamed me. The onus was put back on me as a Black woman to fix it. The very issues I brought to the surface, I was now responsible to change."

This pattern of behavior accounts for the low retention rates of Black women within the workplace and for the disproportionate level of "burnout," a result of the toll of the emotional labor required of a diversity director within a predominately white institution (PWI). Organizations continue to perpetuate this vicious cycle, creating an unsafe working environment for Black women, akin to the one that Phillips described.

If companies are to change their practices, it will first have to begin with listening to Black women. Don't question our experiences. Believe us. Entrust us to lead. Entrust us to make the workplace more equitable for everyone. Trust us to do our jobs.

Next, pay us for our talents and expertise. Black women currently make 62 cents to the dollar as compared to their white male counterparts, and pay inequity is a form of racism in which Black women are paid considerably less for their work despite advanced degrees and depth of experience.

As a result of this glaring disparity, companies need to work diligently to create a work environment in which Black women are respected and protected. Those in positions of power have to be willing to risk their social capital, using their privilege as shields to protect Black women. Black women have been and continue to be the backbone of the workforce, despite the challenges we inherently face due to the confluence of our racial and gender identity.

Our intersectional journey as Black women needs to be discussed so that other Black women know that they are not alone, and that we all, not one of us, will no longer permit being both the shield and the target. There is no blame in sharing our experiences, as our Blackness shouldn't be framed as the problem.

Our Black womanhood is a source of strength, beauty, and excellence, where our voices are deserving of affirmation, amplification, and protection.

Every organization should be asking themselves, "What are we doing to protect Black women? How do we not rob Black women of their humanity?"

They've just been given the position of gatekeepers to make it seem like these companies are really doing something about diversity.

Remember when I worked at a major bank in the late 90's.............and a black woman who started off in the same department that I was in was offered one of these diversity positions.

PAYING $100,000/YR.

This was back in the 90's, so that was more like $150,000-200,000 by today's standards.

I'm thinking, why would they pay that kind of money for a token position like that.

Now, after the tech bubble burst............that was one of the first positions to be eliminated............but still.

No way did that position deserve that kind of money.

Geez one minute they are bragging about how great they are and how much they are breaking ground in the work world. Now they are complaining about the fact they are being used as patsies. So does this mean they'll stop throwing the first claim up when they feel like bashing black men?

So are some the people who've been pointing this out for years no longer considered haters of black women's so called "progress"?

Will some rethink their stances of they have passed black men and that black men to need to catch up to be their equals?

So are some the people who've been pointing this out for years no longer considered haters of black women's so called "progress"?

Will some rethink their stances of they have passed black men and that black men to need to catch up to be their equals?
What you mean by your last comment.

Well the unfortunate part is that they were always shield and target. Seeing black people progress is always gonna be great but what is the purpose of their progress??

The black woman being able to rise up socially and become major movers and shakers is inspiring. It makes you want to step your game up.

However you realize at some point that they put black women in higher positions as a way to empower them by keeping black men at lower states. They tell women that men are their competitors, so they don't want to compliment us they want to compete with us. They want to battle. They want to see who's stronger. So as a result its either you measure up and you're as strong or stronger or you don't and you're irrelevant.

As a result it opens the door for more animosity amongst the genders. It makes women look at men who can't make it as being less than men and those who do, as men who think they're better than them. Not always for the latter, but it increases the chances.

So either way we lose.

Just as an aside, why would you ever want black men making money in your companies for high end position when bringing in women will always be more lucrative?

I have alot to say on this subject.

But in the meantime, a very relevant video:

Fast forward to 4:35

Lol, the same Farrakhan who was Cooning for the pope John Paul II and now for these racist Scientologists and the Wahabists??

FOO. Nigga's a spook and a troll. There has things you don't know about the NOI.
:huh2::kobe:

Lol, the same Farrakhan who was Cooning for the pope John Paul II and now for these racist Scientologists and the Wahabists??

FOO. Nigga's a spook and a troll. There has things you don't know about the NOI.
:huh2::kobe:
I'm from Chicago. East side Terror Town. I was on Stony Island daily.

You don't want to debate me on knowledge of the Nation of Islam. Everything you just said was wrong.

• Ether
Reactions: GNS
I'm from Chicago. East side Terror Town. I was on Stony Island daily.

You don't want to debate me on knowledge of the Nation of Islam. Everything you just said was wrong.

You don't want to ask to your Malcolm X-killing gurus who's the guy behind the keyboard. They don't want to debate with me, lest to make me angry.

Hypergamy is a helluva drug. A lot of woman would rather die alone, than date a guy that makes less than they do. Watch polygamy become the next wave, lol, it practically already is. Look at the amount of women that share baby daddies. All that needs to happen is for the social stigma to be erased. All it will take is a couple Beyonces and Rihannas to cosign and boom - paradigm shift.
Polygamy might be a solution to a few of our problems.

Fact: Black women are not marrying their child's fathers but still looking to be wives.
Solution: Polygamy allows for a man willing to be step father to do so for multiple women in addition to having his own.

Fact: Black women are being systematically prioritized over black men in the workplace but still unhappily single and with children.
Solution: polygamy allows for them to use their leverage in the workplace to open doors for black men who will marry and protect their black wives.

There's a big money play waiting to be seen if we can stop the needless bickering between genders.

Back