Welcome To aBlackWeb

OPINION Black Voices Only?

100MBS

I saw a few articles online about two white voice actors saying they would no longer voice black characters on Big Mouth and Central Park and that only black people should voice black characters. I'm curious how many of yall agree and why. Is this just part of the wave of "wokeness" sweeping media or is this a genuine attempt at getting more black voice actors work?

Black voice actors should voice black characters IMO.

Same as Latinx voice actors should voice their characters

Asian voice actors should voice their characters.

I think white voice actors stepping aside is the right move

Diversity with writing, voice acting, regular acting, directing etc harms nothing. It brings more to final product in my opinion

On one hand I'm like cool more work for black actors , but on the other hand isnt that opening up a debate on what exactly does a black person sound like ? We all different . I can see an issue coming down the line with black characters/actors being stereotyped by what a non black show creator "assuming " what a black person supposed to "sound" like .

On one hand I'm like cool more work for black actors , but on the other hand isnt that opening up a debate on what exactly does a black person sound like ? We all different . I can see an issue coming down the line with black characters/actors being stereotyped by what a non black show creator "assuming " what a black person supposed to "sound" like .

True...
I took the stance like damn if you have a white writer.. white producer.. white director and a white voice actor trying to portray a black character.... they're gonna miss the mark and its gonna be a caricature.

I also see the other side cuz the brothas that voiced Kratos from God of War(a white character) were both black men and they did a hell of a job

True...
I took the stance like damn if you have a white writer.. white producer.. white director and a white voice actor trying to portray a black character.... they're gonna miss the mark and its gonna be a caricature.

I also see the other side cuz the brothas that voiced Kratos from God of War(a white character) were both black men and they did a hell of a job
I was thinking the same thing about kratos. Also certain characters, the creators have a voice in their heads when they're creating them,the job should go to whoever can duplicate it. Noone could ever replace James earl Jones as Vader.
But to your first point , I dont know the inner workings of what voice actors deal with and if its discrimination involved. So fk it black excellence I guess lol

Black voice actors should voice black characters IMO.

Same as Latinx voice actors should voice their characters

Asian voice actors should voice their characters.

I think white voice actors stepping aside is the right move

Diversity with writing, voice acting, regular acting, directing etc harms nothing. It brings more to final product in my opinion
How do you feel about a black man voicing an Asian character like Samurai Jack? Phil Lamarr has been making his money voicing all kinds of different characters

How do you feel about a black man voicing an Asian character like Samurai Jack? Phil Lamarr has been making his money voicing all kinds of different characters

I never really watched samurai jack but if its steeped in Japanese culture... the voice actor should prolly be Japanese IMO

Mike Henry who voices Cleveland on Family Guy is also stepping down from his role of voicing one of the shows main black characters.

Back