Welcome To aBlackWeb

Black GOATs: June 1996

5th Letter

Mod Squad
… and the two days that changed everything.

When people talk about great two-day stretches, many things come to mind. Perhaps, back in 10th grade you had a science and a math test on consecutive days and somehow aced them both. That’s a pretty good two days. Maybe you went to a music festival this summer and had a blast with the crew or had two first dates and liked them both. Two days well spent in both cases. You could even have a weekend where you manage to stay within your budget and still have fun. That, too, is a good 48 hours.

I could go on and on, because it’s different for everyone. But what if I told you that we all shared the same epic 48 hours together over 20 years ago and didn’t even know it? What if I told you 3 people, who’d each go on to inspire us and partially shape the way most of a generation views the world, all came of age right before our eyes in a 2-day span.

Would you believe me?
It’s no secret. I like sports, music, movies, and Black history. I like ’em a lot actually and on occasion, I like to write about them. In fact, you could make the argument that they are all I write about which makes me somewhat predictable, I suppose. And be that as it may, it’s who I am. I hang my hat on it. I write about interesting people that are overlooked, things I enjoy, and stuff that has a profound impact on me.

And… every so often I get the chance to write about all of that at the same time; and this is that.

During the last week of June of 1996, we watched Jay-Z release Reasonable Doubt, Will Smith’s Independence Day hit theaters, and Kobe Bryant go to the Lakers all in a two-day span. I was about to turn six and was already having a big year. I’d just graduated from kindergarten and the Olympics were about to hit my hometown so forgive me if my radar wasn’t dialed in.

But over 22 years later, it’s hard not to look back at this and consider June 25th and 26th two of the most important days of our lives. Trust me, it’s not a stretch. Each of these fellas have become some of the best of their generation, and of all-time. They’ve helped raise us from afar. Not only have we enjoyed and respected their work, we’ve been impacted by the way they go about handling their business. And to think it was all birthed within 48 hours.

This is why they’re the next Black GOATs. Let’s take a walk.

Now, when I said “birthed within 48 hours” I sorta lied. After all, Will Smith had been famous in one way or another since the late 80s, Jay-Z had already released a few singles, and Kobe was both the Naismith and Gatorade National player of the year as a high school senior. So to say they went from relative unknown to super stardom would be a lie. But if you look deeper into it, you’ll certainly agree that 1996 was their big year.

Despite them all being in different industries, they had one thing in common: doubters (and plenty of them). Whether it was talent, age, or a mixture of both, neither of these guys were supposed to be GOATs. And that’s what makes their stories so sweet.

June 25, 1996 — Jay-Z releases his debut album, Reasonable Doubt

When this album dropped, not everyone was familiar with Jay-Z (I wasn’t because I was six) but he wasn’t a complete newcomer. He’d been bubbling up in the rap game for a few years prior to this release. Up until then, he was mostly a street hustler who’d been unsuccessfully trying to break into music. He’d been on Yo! MTV Raps in ’89 and had recently gotten marginal buzz with singles “In My Lifetime” and “Feelin’ It” but dat about it.

His rhymes were too finicky, and he had yet to find his voice. He ended up having to sign himself to himself (Roc-a-Fella Records) just to put out his debut. Needless to say, not everyone was a believer at first. Far from an ideal start to a hall of fame career, but if you can make it from Marcy to the Forbes list, I can’t knock the hustle.

Little did we know, he’d go on to win 21 Grammys, set the record for most number 1 albums by a solo artist and stand today as one of the most brilliant business minds we’ve seen.

We’ve learned that there are striking similarities between the crack game and the rap game, even though most of us don’t dabble in either. He’s shown us that it’s never too late to start something (he was almost 27 when his first album released) and that it’s not always the pretty boy who gets the baddest girl. Last but not least, he’s given us hope that no matter where we come from or what we do, there is no limit to where we can go or what we can become.

Thank you, Jay-Z.

June 25, 1996 — Will Smith’s Independence Day hits theaters

Fresh off of the final episode of Fresh Prince of Bel-Air in May of that year, Will was ready to make a break for the big screen. Within a month’s time, Independence Day would be released, but in the summer of 1996, that wasn’t a guaranteed success.
As you may recall, he’d already been in Bad Boys the year prior, which made money at the box office but was received in a lukewarm way by critics. Going from TV to film is hard for everyone, especially someone who wasn’t necessarily an actor by trade, like he was. Remember, Will had already been a Grammy-winning rapper and gone broke before this first episode of FPOB was ever filmed. So yeah, people had their doubts about this transition but Will made sure this ticket to Hollywood was only for one-way.

Little did we know, his first “lead role” would mark the start of a run like we’ve never seen, a run where he released a movie every summer for 12 straight years. With hits like Men in Black, Ali, and The Pursuit of Happyness, films where he’s credited as a “lead actor” have grossed almost $6 billion to date. (That’s billion with a “b”).

He taught us the importance of persistence. He’s had to stay true to himself at each crossroad of his career; from rapper turned sitcom star, to A-list actor and family man. Whether its career-focused or family-centric, there is a lot to learn from someone who’s had the life he’s led. Above all, we’ve learned that it’s okay to just be ourselves and live our lives to our heart’s content, no matter what people say.

Thank you, Will Smith.

June 26, 1996 — Kobe Bryant is drafted by the Hornets, traded to Lakers

Moses Malone became the first person to play in the NBA directly out of high school in 1974. Kobe Bean Bryant followed suit in 1996, but the story doesn’t actually start there. He’d been making headlines for quite some time. by the time he was a senior, he was averaging over 30 points, being named a McDonald’s All-American, and leading his team to a state championship, breaking Wilt Chamberlain’s records on the way. He even took Brandy to his senior prom (yes, that Brandy). But still, going straight to the pros as a 17-year old didn’t sit well with some NBA teams.

He had his doubters. After all, at the time of his signing he was the youngest player ever to be on an NBA roster.

His frame was small, his game needed developing, and there was very little precedent for skipping college, but after seeing Kevin Garnett do it the year before, Kobe never even took a campus tour. He knew where he wanted to be and was ultimately drafted 13th overall to the Charlotte Hornets before being traded to the Lakers on draft night for Vlade Divac.

Little did we know, he’d go on to win 5 rings, become a perennial All-NBA, and All-Defensive team, player, finish his career 3rd place in all-time scoring and play the most seasons by a guard in NBA history (20). He even won an Oscar this year for his “Dear Basketball” animated short!

Kobe has always schooled us on the importance of focus in our commitment to greatness. He showed us that the race wasn’t always won by the swiftest, the most talented, nor highest picked players, but the ones that worked the hardest. As a young boy, he went over and around defenders who tried to stop him. As his athleticism dwindled as an old man, he studied the game of soccer and mastered footwork to stay effective on the court. When he broke the fingers in his right hand, he learned to shoot with his left. He once tore his Achilles in the game, proceeded to made two free throws and still walked off the court under his own power.

There have been few as dedicated to their craft as he, and that’s something we can all learn from.

Thank you, Kobe Bryant.

The thing with Black GOATs is that they’re great. Which is sort of the whole point. But more important than being great at what pays the bills is being impactful to people everywhere. These guys were that, and still are to this day.

Perhaps the biggest lesson here is how important it is to reinvent yourself. These three stories prove that it’s not how you start, but how you finish. That’s what I take away most from them. The beautiful part of that is that they’re nowhere close to being finished.

For good measure, I’ve recapped some lessons we’ve learned from these Black GOATs. Take them with you and enjoy your road to greatness:

· It’s not how you start, it’s how you finish

· It’s never too late to begin something

· Work hard to remain true to yourself

· Don’t be afraid to reinvent yourself

· There is no greatness without persistence

· It ain’t where you been, but where you’re about to go

With that said, let’s party like it’s 1996!

Back