Welcome To aBlackWeb

Big trouble for Howard University: DeVos’s Education Department puts it on list it doesn’t want to b

DMorgan

You niggas is EXCOMMUNICADO!!!
Howard University is regarded as the most prestigious historically black institution of higher education in the country. But the operations of the school in the nation’s capital have long been troubled in areas such as budget, financial aid, student housing, security, building maintenance and transparency. Now Howard is facing a huge new problem: The U.S. Education Department has placed Howard on a list that it really doesn’t want to be on.

Education Secretary Betsy DeVos’s staff informed the school in an Aug. 13 letter that it had been moved to what is called HCM2, or “heightened cash monitoring,” status regarding federal financial aid funds. That means the school will no longer get millions of dollars in financial aid in advance to award to students but, instead, will have to give it to students and then seek reimbursement from the federal government.

The new status is a significant hardship for the school for reasons that go beyond the simple embarrassment of being lumped in with dozens of other troubled schools, among them a hair design school in Kentucky.

It will affect the monetary flow to the cash-strapped school, which already depends on a hefty annual allocation from Congress to operate. President Wayne A.I. Frederick said in an interview that the new status will require the school to provide laborious documentation of each financial aid award with no errors in any part of the application. The vast majority of students at Howard are on financial aid status, and almost half qualify for need-based Pell Grants. Howard officials said the amount of affected funds for the coming semester is $31,352,790.

This is just the latest piece of bad news in a turbulent year for Howard, including a financial aid scandal this past spring and a takeover of the administration building by students disgruntled with services at the school. They initially demanded Frederick’s resignation but ended the sit-in with him still in his job. Faculty members voted no-confidence in Frederick in April (though the school says most faculty members did not vote either way).

The Education Department letter’s first page cites a long list of problems that prompted it to take action and notes that Howard had “failed to provide all documentation requested” during past compliance audits and a recent program review. (The department letter refers to Title IV funds, which come from federal student aid programs including Pell Grants, Direct Subsidized/Unsubsidized Loans, Direct Graduate PLUS Loan, Direct PLUS Loan, Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grants, Federal Perkins Loans and TEACH grants.)

Frederick, asked in an interview on Tuesday why the department had moved the university to HCM2 status, said, “I am not sure why.”

In an open letter he sent to the Howard community on Tuesday relaying news of the status change, Frederick linked it to a scandal earlier this year in the financial aid office. It was revealed that some employees had taken federal funds to which they were not entitled, and six were fired for “gross misconduct and neglect of duties” in connection with the misappropriation of $369,000 in financial aid.

The latest list of schools on “heightened cash monitoring” was released by the department in June, and has about 540 colleges, universities and vocational schools on it, most of them on a level less severe than the one Howard is now on. Howard now joins 66 others on a more severe monitoring status. They include the Shear Learning Academy of Cosmetology in Illinois, the Tri-State Institute of Hair Design in Kentucky and the Salon & Spa Institute in Texas.

Asked how he felt about his school now being the most prominent on the HCM2 list, Frederick said he was “not sure I would necessarily make that statement,” and then he referred to the inclusion of Michigan State University on the same list. Actually, Michigan State is on the HCM1 list, which is a less severe status than Howard. On HCM1 schools still get advance funds from the government. On HCM2, they don’t.

Frederick has been at Howard for years in various roles. He became provost in 2012, interim president in 2013 and the president of the school in 2014.

In the interview and his letter to the Howard community, he said that the school has taken action to clean up the problems of the past and that he believes there are now enough employees in the financial aid department to perform the required documentation needed for federal reimbursement.

A Howard spokesman said the school’s Office of Financial Aid had 10 employees in April 2018 but now has 15 staffers with three consulting partners. By October, the office will have 25 full-time staff, six consulting partners and five part-time administrative staff, with recruiting and hiring underway.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/educ...ist-it-doesnt-want-be/?utm_term=.a4b7aff09fc1

According to the Education Department, there are two levels of “heightened cash monitoring” that a school can be placed on:
Heightened Cash Monitoring 1 (HCM1): After a school makes disbursements to eligible students from institutional funds and submits disbursement records to the Common Origination and Disbursement (COD) System, it draws down FSA funds to cover those disbursements in the same way as a school on the Advance Payment Method.

Heightened Cash Monitoring 2 (HCM2): A school placed on HCM2 no longer receives funds under the Advance Payment Method. After a school on HCM2 makes disbursements to students from its own institutional funds, a Reimbursement Payment Request must be submitted for those funds to the Department.

Schools may be placed on HCM1 or HCM2 as a result of compliance issues including but not limited to accreditation issues, late or missing annual financial statements and/or audits, outstanding liabilities, denial of re-certifications, concern around the school’s administrative capabilities, concern around a schools' financial responsibility, and possibly severe findings uncovered during a program review. Some schools are on this list due to preliminary findings made during a program review that is still open. Those findings could change when the program review is completed.

This is the letter that Frederick sent to the school community on Tuesday:

Office of the President

August 28, 2018

Dear Howard University Community,

In alignment with my commitment to continuous progress and providing regular updates to the Howard Community, I am writing today to share developments impacting the Office of Financial Aid and financial aid distribution at the University. Transforming that office to more effectively administer aid and improve levels of service provided remain a top priority of my administration.

The Department of Education began an extensive program review of Howard University in April of 2018 following the public dissemination of information regarding the internal investigation of misappropriation of funds in our financial aid office. While this program review is still in progress, the Department of Education has elected to place Howard University on Heightened Cash Monitoring 2 status so that the DOE can closely monitor the institution’s financial aid management. It is important to note that we are taking all necessary measures to avoid any adverse impact to students in the processing of aid and receipt of funds.

This change in status means that all drawdowns for Title IV funds will require the University to submit all documentation on each student before the Department of Education will release the funds. This documentation must be accurate and complete to ensure reimbursement. Students can assist by ensuring they submit all necessary documentation to the university in a timely manner. This process will impact the influx and timing of federal financial aid funds to the University, however, we will supply students who have submitted all documentation on time with university refunds, and will await monthly reimbursement from the Department of Education. For more information, please see here: https://newsroom.howard.edu/newsroom/article/8636/qa-financial-aid-hcm2-updates [howard.us3.list-manage.com].

On April 9, 2018, in a letter to the Howard University Community, and an accompanying Preliminary Investigation Report, I informed our community of the termination of six employees as a result of violations of University policies with respect to the disbursement of University-provided financial aid funds. I committed at that time that there would continue to be significant reforms in our Financial Aid Office, as well as heightened oversight and accountability for this unit.

Since April, the following improvements have been implemented:

• Hiring of a new, permanent Director of Financial Aid.

• Hiring of an internal Financial Aid Compliance Officer.

• Completion of other strategic hires including a new Associate Provost for Enrollment Management and a University-wide Chief Compliance Officer.

• Significantly increased staffing in the Financial Aid Office.

• Approval for all awards of University grants are now reviewed and approved by the Budget Office (for unrestricted institutional aid) and the Controller’s Office (for donor-directed aid) prior to award by the Financial Aid Office.

• Access to the Banner financial aid module has now been limited to a small number of appropriate senior University individuals, with adequate third-party review and appropriate segregation of duties.

• Financial Aid Services, an outside firm that provides universities with student financial aid services, has been retained and assigned a comprehensive range of tasks related to the improvement of Howard’s administration of financial aid. These tasks include:

o Updating all student/family consumer information regarding Howard’s student charges and financial aid policies, for posting on the Web;

o Updating Howard’s Financial Aid Policies and Procedures Manual, covering rules for the efficient administration of both Howard-provided institutional financial aid and federal aid; and

o Training all Howard University Office of Financial Aid staff on the contents of the updated Financial Aid policies and procedures manual.

To further improve service to students, we have implemented a mandatory campus-wide customer service training for all employees, and deployed the Bison E-Line at the Financial Aid Office and the Bursar’s Office (a queue management app that allows students to wait in a “virtual line” rather than a physical line, freeing them to address academic and other responsibilities before returning for a scheduled appointment). We will continue to improve our systems throughout this area.

I am committed to Howard providing “best in class” service to our students and community in Financial Aid administration, as well as every other aspect of campus life impacting our students. We will continue to partner with Financial Aid Services, and together work closely with the Department of Education, and other entities to improve service, restore confidence in our processes, and continue to provide the world-class education that our students deserve. As good stewards of University and Federal funds, we are committed to continuing to investigate any matters related to inappropriate use of University resources. Additional updates regarding this and related matters will be forthcoming.

Excellence in Truth and Service,

Wayne A. I. Frederick, M.D., MBA

President

Office of the President

2400 Sixth Street, NW, Suite 402

Washington, D.C. 20059

SMH niggas talking about fucking elections first and foremost instead of all those well off black alumni who don't support their schools.

Its no reason that Howard should even need that money that badly if these black graduates of Howard gave back to the school.

Yet I'm reading more about niggas expecting the white man to save them.

LLS, like this problem with Howard money just popped up in 2016 and its all because Trump and his lackeys got elected.

SMH niggas talking about fucking elections first and foremost instead of all those well off black alumni who don't support their schools.

Its no reason that Howard should even need that money that badly if these black graduates of Howard gave back to the school.

LLS, like this problem with Howard money just popped up in 2016 and its all because Trump and his lackeys got elected.

If you don't see the connection between this situation and the election of Trump then you've got your head in the sand. To say that the burden is on the alumni is skirting the issue since they either paid tuition already or received scholarships or grants that paid their tuition. If Howard is mismanaging money that's one side of it but it's not the alumni that's responsible for that and it's not the alumni that are essentially defunding the government scholarships in order to keep black kids out of college.

Just wait until the next step when Sessions tries to roll back affirmative action (one of his lifelong dreams) and the Trump-loaded supreme court allows it. Will you be able to admit then that maybe allowing a known racist to be elected president was a bad idea?

Edit: well that didn't take long...

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entr...it-discrimination_us_5b880049e4b0162f4720668e
DOJ KNIVES OUT FOR HARVARD AFFIRMATIVE ACTION
Justice Dept. Sides With Lawsuit Charging Racial Discrimination

Last edited:
If you don't see the connection between this situation and the election of Trump then you've got your head in the sand. To say that the burden is on the alumni is skirting the issue since they either paid tuition already or received scholarships or grants that paid their tuition. If Howard is mismanaging money that's one side of it but it's not the alumni that's responsible for that and it's not the alumni that are essentially defunding the government scholarships in order to keep black kids out of college.

Just wait until the next step when Sessions tries to roll back affirmative action (one of his lifelong dreams) and the Trump-loaded supreme court allows it. Will you be able to admit then that maybe allowing a known racist to be elected president was a bad idea?

Edit: well that didn't take long...

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entr...it-discrimination_us_5b880049e4b0162f4720668e
DOJ KNIVES OUT FOR HARVARD AFFIRMATIVE ACTION
Justice Dept. Sides With Lawsuit Charging Racial Discrimination

SMMH. Just because I know black people should look inward first to solve our problems doesn't mean I'm absolving white people of part of the problem they created. I just know that since we've been known for centuries that unless we as black people are entertaining or being used as labor white people have no use for us. It does us no good and has absolutely no effect on the problem or white people for the first thing out of our mouths is cry about the shit white people doing to us (IE: Everythng is Trump's fault).

You got damn right some of the burden is on those alumni and other black people to help other black people first before anybody else. Black people are fucking fools to think otherwise. That is part of our fucking problem. White people or any other race ain't going to lift a fucking finger to really help us out of our problems no matter how much we bitch, whine and cry or shame we try to heap upon them for what they've caused. The fact that you feel because the alumni either paid tuition, used grants or loans means they shouldn't give back to school is another reason why Howard and many other HBCU's endowments probably empty or barely has any money. But niggas show enough show up for homecoming and spend plenty of money partying it up for the fucking weekend though. Look at the endowments of some of these PWI. Those white alumni give back because they know that school helped them achieve their dreams and they want other white kids to achieve the same thing and they willing to help other white people continue to help other white people. While niggas like you saying I paid my way let them other niggas do the same and if they can't oh fucking well. How in the fuck does that help black people overall move out of last place in this country? I didn't say the alumni is completely responsible for fxing that problem but IMO they should feel they have an obligation to help out the next generation an so on.

I said this shit on the IC. That the Trump years is going to reveal a lot about black people. Either we were going to continue on the shit we've been doing or we would understand the need to put ourselves first and close ranks. So far we just continuing to do the same shit.

@DOS_patos I owe you an apology. I can completely see why you throw your hands up and go months or even longer with just a fuck yall niggas attitude and don't reach out or try to talk to folks on solutions. I truly get it now when I didn't before. I'm now on my fuck it shit. Yall can have it.I wish yall nothing but health, wealth and prosperity.

I'm done with topics like this for a while.

yooo my nigga hit back hard.

but damn,.....he gets it tho.

shit is mad frustrating.
i feel like black people are far too invested in "its because of someone else".

its like....what do niggas want?

we all cant be on the level of wealthy white. but we can live good and great lives.

we made tons of progress being that slavery just really ended....yet more and more of us look at it like....well as long as my family is good fuck all yall. imma get me a benz.

This probably wouldn't have went down if not for that scandal.

They need to find dude and whup in ass in the middle of that McDonalds across the street from the stadium.

Is it that many affulent black people in DC to change the whole face of Howard?

Back