Welcome To aBlackWeb

Best Bassline Samples In Hip Hop

Why don't you like it?

I was really into original samples before the internet came out in the early to mid 90s.

Nowadays I think using the internet to find samples is cheating. Back in the day we used to get our paychecks and go from one used record store to the next and dig in the $0.99 bins and look for any album from 1969-1974 that looked like it was worth owning.

There were about 4 used record stores in Boston that I used to frequent and then I'd take the bus to Cambridge (right over the bridge) where there were another handful of used record stores. I used to blow entire paychecks on used records from 92-96. It was a subculture that doesn't really exist anymore. Nowadays everything is on Youtube, but imagine a society before Youtube where, if you wanted to know where a sample was from, you'd have to ask around.

You'd go to one friends's house and he'd play whatever samples he had, then you'd go to another friend's house and he'd play whatever samples he had. And it was more of a word of mouth type of thing rather than a website.

Nowadays if you want to know the original sample for a record, you just have to type in the name of the song with "original sample" and 9/10 the sample will come up on Google.

It's just not the same as it was in the 90s when you literally had to dig in the crates.

There were no message boards where you could make an "Original samples thread" You really had to know your samples off the top of the head so if you bumped into somebody at a used record store, you could have a conversation with that person and recite the samples you knew from memory.

That's just the times we're in. Its not as complicated to find a sample but I feel like people could dig deeper now with the internet.
You still see the producers that been in the game for awhile still love the rush they get when they go out digging. Its not a lost art to them. Especially when they go overseas.

Back