Welcome To aBlackWeb

OPINION Best and Worst representations of accents in film/tv based on where you're from

AP3.0

Cracka free since 2009; Strictly Business 🫱🏿‍🫲
Site Administrator
I hope the title makes sense but what are the films/shows that ya'll feel that are based on where you're from that did a good or bad job of properly representing that area?

For me, one of the best would have to go to "Treme". Now it helps they had a ton of locals with some recurring roles to help balance out the folks that arent from here, but I thought Khandi Alexander, while her accent wasn't the best, her portrayal of someone in NOLA after Katrina was fucking top notch. Even the white actors they had did very commendable jobs.

One of the worst? @Goldie ?? said it in another thread but Denzel in Deja Vu lol. Homie the goat but yea...could've blindfolded me, had Jay Pharaoh do an impersonation, and I wouldnt be able to tell the difference.

Bow Wow in that hurricane movie was also pretty shitty

I remember @AP21 had an issue with shorty's accent on Ozark. I thought it was pretty spot on.... granted idk where Ozark is located, but if I had to guess, that's how they sound.

I remember @AP21 had an issue with shorty's accent on Ozark. I thought it was pretty spot on.... granted idk where Ozark is located, but if I had to guess, that's how they sound.
I ain't never been to Missouri, so in hindsight, maybe I was bugging

I also don't plan on ever going there so she might sound just like them

There’s a scene in Half Baked where Mary Jane and Thurgood (Dave Chappelle) were on a “date” walking down tha street and he asks her if she wanted a hot dog and tha way she says hot dog is a super exaggerated NY accent...like hot duwog...and that shit always aggravated me lol

There’s a scene in Half Baked where Mary Jane and Thurgood (Dave Chappelle) were on a “date” walking down tha street and he asks her if she wanted a hot dog and tha way she says hot dog is a super exaggerated NY accent...like hot duwog...and that shit always aggravated me lol
If it helps,I think she was doing it on purpose. Kinda mocking his cheap ass hot dog suggestion.

Back