Welcome To aBlackWeb

Austin Slab Culture Falls Victim To Gentrification

The entitlement of gentrifiers is what gets me. Like building up a neighborhood should be a good thing, but it certainly isn't when you try to run the natives out and destroy everything that made the neighborhood what it is.

The crazy shit is that it's like a back and forth thing. Gentrifiers will move into the cities, push the natives out into the surrounding areas then after a few decades, the gentrifiers will get tired of the city and move out to the surrounding areas pushing people back into the city.

Forgot to add some of these great quotes from this article.
One particularly vocal tenant, a non-Hispanic white woman with short blond hair who appeared to be in her fifties, claimed that smoke from the tires was killing nearby trees and that traffic from the gathering would make it impossible for an ambulance to reach her in the event of a medical emergency (though two other roads to the apartment building remain accessible at all times). Another Weaver resident voiced more generalized criticism, calling the event a “display of toxic masculinity.”

“[W]e should shut this thing down,” a third resident, who blamed the lack of police response on the “idiotic” city council’s decision to slash the Austin Police Department’s budget, wrote in March on a building forum. Indeed, at a recent gathering, a non-Hispanic white tenant had flagged two police vehicles and pleaded with officers to disband the celebration, calling it “scary.” The officers eventually drove off without taking any action. Even though the event sometimes violates noise and traffic ordinances, it doesn’t pose major threats to anyone in The Weaver, nor does it break other city rules.

By the Sunday I went to the park, the building had posted a security guard in the driveway in response to growing outrage among its residents, and concerns for their safety. Several angry residents gathered near him. A few threatened to call the police. A frustrated woman from Chicago who said she winters in Austin and would not be renewing her lease wondered aloud about the financial toll the gathering would exact upon The Weaver, which is owned by Greystar Real Estate Partners, an international developer based in Charleston, S.C. (The regional manager who oversees Greystar’s Austin properties did not respond to repeated requests for an interview.)

The next day, it was clear that patience remained in short supply. Watching from her upper-floor apartment, one of The Weaver’s most vocal critics of the car clubs, the blond woman who worried about emergency responders being able to reach her, decided she’d had enough. She bounded downstairs and into the street in high heels, holding her iPhone to film the offending vehicles and threatening to call the police on another group of men standing beside an old-school Ford sedan who looked unamused. “You can’t tell me drugs aren’t being distributed over there,” she huffed. “The brazenness of it all just kills me!”

Fucking Karen

Heard it’s nothing but homeless tents down there now

It's so many homeless folks out here. They were talking about making a hotel to house them in but alot of folks are pissed about that.

I think if they were to make it like a co-op situation where the people who live there was to work there keeping it hospitable and maybe even have a garden it would be a good idea in my opinion

I think if they were to make it like a co-op situation where the people who live there was to work there keeping it hospitable and maybe even have a garden it would be a good idea in my opinion

That’ll work for some but most leave those places cause they don’t allow drug use

Back