Welcome To aBlackWeb

Are Yall Familiar With Galaxy Gas?

Goldie

Kobe With The Pivot
Site Owner
Looks to be a "new" drug the kids are doing:

Doctors and mental health experts are warning parents about a dangerous trend that’s re-emerged under a different name: Galaxy Gas. The trend involves misusing whipped cream chargers containing nitrous oxide made by the Atlanta-based company Galaxy Gas.

Galaxy says the product is for “high-quality whipped cream chargers and dispensers” that can flavor whipped cream and create foams and mousse for use in cocktails.

Image of the product Galaxy Gas

Parents via Amazon

However, people can misuse the product to get high from the nitrous oxide. You may know the trend by another name, whippets.

It comes on the heels of “chroming,” another word for misusing inhalants that has long been called “huffing.” Like huffing, using Galaxy Gas to get high from the nitrous oxide poses serious and even fatal health risks.

What Is Galaxy Gas, and Why Is It Trending (and Legal)?​

Galaxy Gas is a company that makes whipped cream chargers with nitrous oxide. However, it also refers to a trend involving the misuse of the chargers for recreational purposes: To get a brief high, explains Gail Saltz, MD, a clinical associate professor of psychiatry at the New York Presbyterian Hospital Weill-Cornell School of Medicine and host of the How Can I Help? podcast.

“Galaxy Gas is supposed to be marketed for culinary purposes, to make whipped cream and to add flavors to your whipped cream,” Dr. Saltz says. “Unfortunately, teens and young adults have caught on that it is nitrous oxide under pressure and can be used to get a one-minute high.”

Galaxy Gas did not respond to an email request for comment. However, in the FAQ section of its website, the company explains that a whipped cream charger “is a stainless steel cartridge filled with nitrous oxide (N2O) gas. Nitrous Oxide is a gas that helps cream, as well as other ingredients, form into a frothy, whipped state upon dispensing. Compared to traditional whipping by hand, whipped cream chargers are able to increase the volume of whipped cream by 4x...An average whipped cream charger contains 8 grams of N2O under pressure and is non-refillable.”

The products can be found at retailers like Walmart and Amazon.

What is nitrous oxide?​

Nitrous oxide is used for medical purposes, such as dental procedures, explains Daniel Ganjian, MD, FAAP, a board-certified pediatrician at Providence Saint John’s Health Center. It is not considered a controlled substance under federal law, and possessing it is not illegal federally.1

Louisiana became the first state to ban businesses from “possessing, selling, or transferring nitrate oxide products” in 2024. The law though does not specify whether it applies to culinary products.2

ADVISORY: 2024 LEGISLATIVE CHANGES. State of Louisiana. August 1, 2024.

Regardless of the state, it is not legal to sell or distribute nitrous oxide for recreational drug use (“human consumption") under the Federal Food Drug and Cosmetics Act.3 However, it is permitted in food as long as the manufacturing practices are deemed good.4

Since it’s legal for use in culinary products—like cans of whipped cream and chargers—Dr. Saltz says nitrous oxide continues to remain widely accessible for misuse. For instance, when New York passed a law banning the sale of steel cylinders or cartridges filled with nitrous oxide to people under the age of 21, its Department of Agriculture and Markets clarified that it didn’t apply to whipped cream cans.5

A pop-up on Galaxy Gas’ website also clarifies, “Products containing nitrous oxide are sold solely as a food processing propellant for whipped cream and culinary food use only. It is unlawful for a person to purchase products containing nitrous oxide for any purpose not intended herein and legally authorized...Intentional misuse or inhalation of contents is prohibited and poses a serious health hazard.”

Health Risks of Nitrous Oxide/Misusing Galaxy Gas Chargers​

Nitrous oxide affects the central nervous system, notably the brain.6

“Nitrous oxide reduces the amount of oxygen reaching the brain,” explains Dr. Ganjian. “This can lead to dizziness, lightheadedness, and impaired judgment. Inhaling large amounts or for extended periods can lead to oxygen deprivation, which can damage brain cells and even be fatal.”

Dr. Ganjian says other risks and side effects of misusing nitrous oxide include:

• Loss of coordination
  • Headaches
  • Nausea and vomiting
  • Vitamin B12 deficiency with long-term use, which can cause nerve damage and numbness
  • Loss of consciousness from oxygen deprivation
  • Heart attack due to a sudden increase in blood pressure
  • Sudden death from oxygen deprivation

Nah, this shit ain't new, the way its now packaged and marketed is new but muhfuckas (YT) been huffin' nitrous for a long ass time. Back in the 90's you had (YT) kids at raves doing nitrous from a balloon. Niggas would actually wheel up big ass tanks of N2O to a rave and sell hits by filling a balloon with it for whatever they were charging. The other way was buying a "cracker" from a head shop, and that allowed you to take a N2O propellant charge meant to be used by culinary professionals for whipped cream, and use that to fill a balloon.

whippit_cracker.jpg

I had these raver friends of mine that did nitrous back then. I stuck to my liquor 'cause I wasn't trying to act that fuckin goofy.

Whip-it’s have been around since forever

But yeah, it’s now being marketed to the youth. I’m not sure if it’s specifically being targeted to one group, though. I’ve seen videos of youth of all races using this stupid thing.

Ironically a SZA tweet is the best free marketing to young black people that they could hope for lol

Back