Welcome To aBlackWeb

Are Northeastern Rappers Collectively More Relevant Than Anybody Else?

5 Grand

Old School Godfather
New York, New Jersey, Philadelphia

In the 80s New York ran the table

In the early 90s The West made an emergence and The South came up in the late 90s

By the 2000s all regions were represented in Hip Hop

But if you made a top 10 list, would The Northeast be overrepresented?

Even if you grew up in The South or The West?

Are there more Northeastern legends?

I grew up in The Northeast so I'm accustomed to hearing Northeast accents. In my opinion, there are more relevant Northeastern Rap artists but I'm biased.

Do you have 5 or more Northeastern MCs in your top 10?

Last edited:
That’s crazy I was just about to write this in the triggered fanbase thread but I can say it here and honestly

As far as like the top 20 rappers of all time, probably 12-13 are from the East coast

As far as top 10 it’s probably 5 or 6

The reason the west and south are overlooked as far as rankings and lists is because those guys are independent for most of their careers. East coast rappers were signed to labels in NYC for most of their careers, so they had the machine backing them in the Mecca

The reason the west and south are overlooked as far as rankings and lists is because those guys are independent for most of their careers. East coast rappers were signed to labels in NYC for most of their careers, so they had the machine backing them in the Mecca

But it's been 50 years. Seems like the other regions have had time to catch up.

Anyone gonna be biased hard towards their region. Eras play a huge part in that as well. Thinking about it now my top ten list is split in half.

In no particular order

East Coast: Nas, Jay, Biggie, Rakim, Ghostface

Everywhere else: Pac, Scarface, Cube, Common, Em

Back