Welcome To aBlackWeb

OPINION Are fans entitled to a celebrity's autograph?

Soul_Rattler

I've heard it's an "unwritten rule." An "unsoken obligation" to take "a few seconds" for an autograph. Or maybe a picture. Or a short video.

If you pay for a jersey, you're entitled to it. If you pay for a game ticket, you're entitled to that too. So what makes you entitled to stop someone in the middle of their day for any reason?

Is the parent right to call him out on social media? Or is this a symptom of celebrity worship?

Fans ain't "entitled" to shit. They feel entitled because maybe they paid for whatever your craft is, be it music, movie/tv, etc, but that doesn't entitle them to anything beyond what they paid for.

In this day and age, social media has people feeling like they know you as a *person* and not as just an artist 'cause they're on the celebrity's fan page. Got folks feelin like they can walk up on you and demand whatever they want from the artist and they get in their feels when it doesn't work out that way. Then you're called an asshole blah, blah, blah but in reality the asshole is the person walking up on the celeb making demands. Fuck that. If I see a celebrity while I'm out and about I'll just hit 'em with the nod if we make eye contact or dap 'em up and keep it moving.

I can't geek out like that. That man or woman is human like me. I may enjoy what they do, that's it. Will just say what up and keep moving.

I was always told you don't want to meet your favorite celebs,athletes etc as they will let you down.

no entitlement whatsoever but I do feel like certain jobs kinda hold you to a standard

and while it would be tiring and frustrating at times, they should always try to sign as many as they can

dont know the story here but the social media route is bullshit

Nance has a cool head and probably a PR team or assistant at the least that helped with this one

a man just chillin somewhere reading that kinda shit with no guidance around would have went off lol

For kids...sure.

But they're not entitled.

I do think a celeb has a right to privacy. For example, if they are having dinner with their family or friends, I feel fans shouldn't bother them.

can we get more details or context?
The Instagram post is all I know.

The athlete is walking somewhere. The mother and son see him. The son walks up behind him asking for an autograph. The athlete says no and keeps walking. The son walks back to his mother disappointed. The mother says she doesn't like the athlete anyway and posts the video on social media to shame him for not giving her son an autograph. The athlete apologizes and offers to make up for it.

WAIT FOR IT

The mother responds by thanking him, telling him he was wrong, and telling him to remember that he's a role model for HER son.

a few second wont hurt but people should also remember these celebs are human and cant be on at all times.

sometimes people are having a bad day and dont want to be reminded of peoples careless requirement.

Crazy thing is...I have been all over abnd ran into many many many celebs.

recently.....i was in orlando airport and saw biz markie.

I said hi but kept it moving...
my wife wanted a pic.....so we went over and politely asked it it was ok.....he said cool and took the pic and even put on a fake smile.

i told him i appreciated that. cause dude was looking mad stressed like a few moments before.

but if he said no......it would have been cool too.

No you’re not entitled to an autograph unless they are doing an official signing situation.

As a person that likes to collect sports autographs and items I’ve never taken it personal if the athlete didn’t want to stop what they are doing to oblige me.

Most of the time if there is a lot of people around and the athlete is doing something on their own I low key acknowledge them and keep it moving because I’m sure the last thing they want is to be stopped from what they set out to do while they are out and about.

People need to realize they are humans just like you and have needs, wants and emotions just like you. Smh

Hell youre not entitled...imagine youre a celeb out and about on a random daily. Somebody stops you for an autograph, and other people see. Next thing you know all hell is breaking loose and mfs are swarming. All because you wanted a Starbucks or something.
I saw a shit load of people chasin chuck liddell through the mall one time because he stopped for 1 picture.

Celebrities kind of due owe their fans, without them they wouldn't be making millions. However, I don't know if that entitles them to autographs

Celebrities kind of due owe their fans, without them they wouldn't be making millions. However, I don't know if that entitles them to autographs
tenor.gif

Back