Welcome To aBlackWeb

Anyone heard of 'Ghost Scratchers'???

Something I had never heard of until recently...

I was talking to my boy the other day, who was an ‘old skool’ DJ, old skool in the sense he DJ'd at clubs and parties in the early 00’s, so he used to have to carry around mad flight cases of records and mix and scratch on traditional turntables rather than the digital ones DJs use now...

Anyways we started talking about DJs and how they used to be a major part of a group or even a duo etc and I said the DJs name even went before the MC alot of the time and I gave the example of ‘Eric B and Rakim’… He then blew my mind and said ‘yeah did you know Rakim did alot of ghost scratching on their records???’... Wait hold up, WTF is ghost scratching???

He hit me with the screw face and explained that alot groups and duos used to get in outside DJs to perform cuts on their records in the studio, then when they performed live the crew DJ often used to fake the cuts that the studio DJs performed in the studio… This info blew my mind… Essentially I guess 'ghost scratchers' were like session musicians that some rock/pop groups sometimes get in to play instruments in the studio…

Had anyone else heard of this term ‘Ghost scratchers’ and got any examples???

Anyways so I Googled it later found this article by the legend DJ Rob Swift:

SOURCE:

Last edited:
Something I had never heard of until recently...

I was talking to my boy the other day, who was an ‘old skool’ DJ, old skool in the sense he DJ'd at clubs and parties in the early 00’s, so he used to have to carry around mad flight cases of records and mix and scratch on traditional turntables rather than the digital ones DJs use now...

Anyways we started talking about DJs and how they used to be a major part of a group or even a duo etc and I said the DJs name even went before the MC alot of the time and I gave the example of ‘Eric B and Rakim’… He then blew my mind and said ‘yeah did you know Rakim did alot of ghost scratching on their records???’... Wait hold up, WTF is ghost scratching???

He hit me with the screw face and explained that alot groups and duos used to get in outside DJs to perform cuts on their records in the studio, then when they performed live the crew DJ often used to fake the cuts that the studio DJs performed in the studio… This info blew my mind… Essentially I guess 'ghost scratchers' were like session musicians that some rock/pop groups sometimes get in to play instruments in the studio…

Had anyone else heard of this term ‘Ghost scratchers’ and got any examples???

Anyways so I Googled it later found this article by the legend DJ Rob Swift:

SOURCE:
Oh yea that’s a known thing

DJ Scratch did a lot of ghost scratches

Pun has 2 on Capital Punishment...

DJ Iroc does the scratches...

Roc Raida does the scratches...

Dope tunes but yeah I know rappers obviously get DJs in to do scrstches if they are solo artists or groups without a DJ...

What blew my mind was hearing things like Rakim doing the scratches instead of Eric B or Juice doing them for Terminator X even when P.E were shouting out X...

Oh yea that’s a known thing

DJ Scratch did a lot of ghost scratches

Daum Ive been sleeping, wonder who else got ghost scratchers...

I guess with NWA having a few DJs in the crew they may have been pretty fluid with who does what in the studio with Dre, Yella and Arabian Prince sharing duties but thats not really ghost scratching as they would all be credited with the work they done...

Back