Welcome To aBlackWeb

A popular type of synthetic hair used for Black women's braids is highly carcinogenic

konceptjones

The one between three and three.
This just came across my timeline. Now, normally I don't give this kind of shit any of my brain cycles, but I was bored and I watched it anyway.

Once I finished the video, I decided to look it up, 'cause clearly this has to be some internet conspiracy bullshit, right??? Then I found this article in The Lancet:

These two paragraphs in particular stood out the most:

The current lack of governmental regulation has resulted in the exposure of Black women to toxins in these readily accessible and popular synthetic extensions. For instance, the affordable modacrylic fiber Kanekalon is utilized by many well-known synthetic braiding extension brands and is commonly recommended by professional braiders due to its resemblance to Afro-textured hair and resistance to unraveling.5 Modacrylic fiber is composed of acrylonitrile and vinyl chloride, both of which are toxic to humans. The Environmental Protection Agency classifies acrylonitrile as a probable human carcinogen.6 The National Cancer Institute directly links vinyl chloride with leukemia, lymphoma, and rare forms of liver, brain, and lung cancers.7 The Occupational Safety and Health Administration's maximum permissible exposure limits of acrylonitrile and vinyl chloride over an 8-h time-weighted average are 2 ppm (0.002 g/L) and 1 ppm (0.001 g/L), respectively.8 To braid a full head of hair, stylists typically use eight, 26-inch extension packs. This equates to continuous exposure to 800 g of modacrylic fiber for up to 6 weeks.

Synthetic extensions also contain and emit other concerning substances, including volatile organic compounds (VOCs) upon heat exposure.9 Most braiders seal the ends of synthetic braids with hot water treatments or a curling iron to prevent unraveling. Long-term exposure to VOCs may exacerbate asthma in Black communities.9 Another concern is that synthetic extensions contain flame retardant fibers—relatively cheap chemicals used to meet fire safety law performance standards—though flame retardants themselves are not required by fire safety laws.10 In January 2022, New York State joined four other states (Delaware, Georgia, Iowa, and West Virginia) in banning flame retardants due to their adverse health effects, including cancer and reproductive organ toxicity.11 There is currently no ban on flame retardants at the federal level, leaving synthetic hair users at risk. Both stricter enforcement of current flame-retardant bans and enactment of a federal-level flame retardant ban would be regulatory steps toward protecting consumers.

So it appears this fake Kanekalon hair used by Black women all over the planet is made from two toxic, carcinogenic compounds and it's known pretty much everywhere as being carcinogenic at a minimum but is still being pushed into the Black community.

Pretty sure if this was some shit white folks was using, it would have been banned years ago or never used in the first place.

Yeah when I started going natural and growing my locs , I learned that so many products and the actual hair itself is very damaging.

But it's often the cheapest, most accessible hair.

I think many woman try to get human hair, but it can be expensive imo

Capitalism and colonization and technology have pros and cons

I grew up with my hair being braided all the time. I was an athletic and had regular appointments with my braider.

So yeah plastic toxins were in my system and probably still are from the exposure over so many years.
Even with growing locs, in the beginning I would braid over them as I didn't at first feel confident with my frizzy short locs .

I don't put gels or really anything in my locs now. Nor do i add any hair to it. Just water and natural oils.

and I will add that modacrylic fibers are used alot in apparel, home furnishings, carpets, rugs etc etc

Last edited:
Found this review, if i do ever decide to braid up my locs. I might check them out.

But not a ton of reviews,

Yeah when I started going natural and growing my locs , I learned that so many products and the actual hair itself is very damaging.

But it's often the cheapest, most accessible hair.

I think many woman try to get human hair, but it can be expensive imo

Capitalism and colonization and technology have pros and cons

I grew up with my hair being braided all the time. I was an athletic and had regular appointments with my braided.

So yeah plastic toxins were in my system and probably still are from the exposure over so many years.
Even with growing locs, in the beginning I would braid over them as I didn't at first feel confident with my frizzy short locs .

I don't put gels or really anything in my locs now. Nor do i add any hair to it. Just water and natural oils.

and I will add that modacrylic fibers are used alot in apparel, home furnishings, carpets, rugs etc etc

I just found out in the last couple of years that adding hair to locs was a thing.

There's all these women out here with this toxic crap in their heads and the fact that it's allowed by the government just reeks of a conspiracy.

The trial and error of finding products that work on my daughter has been a chore. Everybody recommends products that work for themselves or are for black hair but finding the right combination that works and is verified is a big problem for me.

I've been trying to stick with braids but during the time when I have to let her hair breathe causes major stress at times

Back