Welcome To aBlackWeb

6 Years Later: Long Live ASAP = Classic?

Classic or Nah?

• Total voters
imma say yes.

prolly one of the first albs of this new crop of rappers that made me have faith that hip hop wasn't dead once i got satellite radio...

hands on the wheel was like the first time i heard homie spit(i know...late af), and this album came out shortly later, and i remember really really liking the vibe all the way through

so imma say yes

rocky had a flow and a sound that really was trendsetting imo...

like i don't wanna put to much on one dude and one album..... but his sound was very refreshing, and i think the whole asap movement was dope for the game... i'm not as big of a fan of ferg n them.. but they all got burn cuz of rocky, and this album definitely paved the way

I halfway agree with this, but do you feel the same about "old school" albums? An album that was a "classic" for it's time, but not an alltime classic.

^^^ That's a topic that deserves its own thread.

I grew up in the 80s. I graduated from High School in 1991, when I was 17.

At the time, Illmatic hadn't come out, Ready To Die hadn't come out, Me Against The World hadn't come out, Reasonable Doubt hadn't come out. The Chronic hadn't come out. Outkast, Three Six Mafia and UGK didn't exist and if they did I hadn't heard of them.

My point is that at the time, in, say, 1991, over a hundred rap albums had come out and the best ones were considered classics. Albums like:

Run DMC - Self Titled
Eric B & Rakim - Paid In Full
Public Enemy - It Takes A Nation...
Boogie Down Productions - Criminal Minded
LL Cool J - Bigger & Differ
NWA - Straight Outta Compton

In 1991, there's no way you could argue that those albums weren't classic. Not if you were my age. EVERYBODY in my age bracket agreed that those albums were 5 mic classics.

Now, 30 years later, there's a whole generation that doesn't remember those albums because they were either too young to comprehend them as they came out, or they weren't born yet. But that doesn't make those albums any less classic to those of us that were teenagers when they dropped.

There's no way in hell you could convince somebody my age that Criminal Minded isn't a top 10 Hip Hop album.

Other than maybe Bigger & Differ I still think all of those are timeless classics.

I was more so talkin about a bunch of early 90s albums that niggas are quick to call classics but either sound wack in 2019 or just doesn't hold enough weight to be called an alltime classic.

I halfway agree with this, but do you feel the same about "old school" albums? An album that was a "classic" for it's time, but not an alltime classic.

Yep. The determining factor for me is if that album was played 20yrs from now...would it still hold up?

I think this album can be an all time classic...it just ain’t old enough yet.

as much shit as I give you about your disrespect for Janet

Her albums from the 80s were classics for that time.

I know good and damn well Control or Rhythm Nation wouldn’t really succeed in today’s cliamate

But what she lacks in replay value she makes up for in influence imo

Last edited:
Naw, liked At Long Last ASAP better. You can make an argument that album is a classic for this generation of fans.

CS, I'd be willing to debate for pages on Long Last ASAP being a classic, but it's a mixtape.

Back