Welcome To aBlackWeb

Women Who Refuse To Take The Man's Last Name After Marriage

Goldie

I Just Want Some Chips
Site Owner
How do you feel on the subject?

@the men
Would you find it disrespectful for her to not take ur last name?

@the women
Do you find it disrespectful that tradition tells u to change ur name to ur husbands?

It depends. A lot of women who don't take their husbands last name do it because their name is established. If you've been Doctor Jones for years you're not about to become Doctor Who and confuse your clients if you don't have to. You have to change everything, name tags, licenses, id's, your LinkedIn page lol. It's a lot of work. That being said

If I got married I'd hyphenate my name not change it entirely. I've been a ... my whole life and I'm not letting that go. My name matters.

I get it if she's established (doc, celeb, etc) but if her ass works at walmart , I don't wanna hear that "established" shit.

And in response to "Ive been .." , that name derives from ur mom's husband/baby daddy too. So what are we really talking about?

Plus not taking his name tells me she's not completely with being a true union, she's still for self. Then you have the situation on which name does the kids get.

• Ether
Reactions: GNS
I get it if she's established (doc, celeb, etc) but if her ass works at walmart , I don't wanna hear that "established" shit.

And in response to "Ive been .." , that name derives from ur mom's husband/baby daddy too. So what are we really talking about?

Plus not taking his name tells me she's not completely with being a true union, she's still for self. Then you have the situation on which name does the kids get.
If she works at Walmart
:ha:[;'.Had me rolling lmao

Me personally, I've had my dad's name my whole life, my parents were married, mom still has my dad's last name even though they divorced. Since I turned 18 she been talking about she wants her maiden name back. I'm not giving up my name in the first place. Don't care what the nigga thinks about it either.

@the women
Do you find it disrespectful that tradition tells u to change ur name to ur husbands?
yup. i think for myself n i aint gonna let no damn tradition make me change an aspect of my identity im perfectly happy with.

if it was respectful, men wld change their last name to their woman's just as often. then it wld be a true act of love or devotion or whatever the fuck. currently, its just another way 4 women's identities to be defined by their relationship to men. its a tradition love aint got shit to do with.

can't the same be said for him not taking her name? if anything it shld mean more when a nigga takes a womans name, bcuz he's going against the grain out of love n prioritizin unity n showin that he thinks for himself
who are we to say what established is? she cld be proud of her accomplishments at walmart. never knock someone 4 feelin happy with who they are or what they've done under their name.
not always.

n doesnt that signify a bigger problem? y is a man's family history more important? y shld the maternal lineage be erased?

lemme clarify: no issue with women taking men's names. my problem is with that bein the default n few questioning it.

yup. i think for myself n i aint gonna let no damn tradition make me change an aspect of my identity im perfectly happy with.

if it was respectful, men wld change their last name to their woman's just as often. then it wld be a true act of love or devotion or whatever the fuck. currently, its just another way 4 women's identities to be defined by their relationship to men. its a tradition love aint got shit to do with.

This whole post is wack af.

lmaoo @ I'm not gonna let no man I supposedly love make me change the name my slave master gave me!! :gtfoh:

Alot of chicks these days are so fuckin confused lol

This whole post is wack af.

lmaoo @ I'm not gonna let no man I supposedly love make me change the name my slave master gave me!! :gtfoh:

Alot of chicks these days are so fuckin confused lol
cuz u cant refute my points

by the end of this debate u gonna wanna take my name :uhhuh1:

Yet you couldn't refute that one, which trumps every fuckin point you've made.

Yet you couldn't refute that one, which trumps every fuckin point you've made.
no it doesn't.

ur 1 point doesn't even refute one of my main ones:

can't the same be said for him not taking her name? if anything it shld mean more when a nigga takes a womans name, bcuz he's going against the grain out of love n prioritizin unity n showin that he thinks for himself

& still, i wait.

I respectfully disagree.

Back