Welcome To aBlackWeb

why is the haitian revolution not considered a great moment in black history?

That's a good idea,,

They need a national history museum in Haiti.... Or if they have one... Advertise it and encourage tourism.
I'd go ??‍♂️

They probably have a ton of museums. But the country needs infrastructure which needs money. Countries spend billions a year on tourism. Haiti cant.

When Haiti won the revolution, the peace treaty came with cripling debt.

Im pretty sure they are still paying that debt in 2021.

The imperial powers never gave Haiti a chance. And then they buried its history. A ton of corrupt politicians that were mostly puppets.

And thats why haiti is what it is today

We are taught about the Haitian Revolution in school. And its Black History Month in America. We learn more about the hundreds of years of black history IN AMERICA thats overlooked. Why the fuck would we be taught about another random countries history?

This the second time this month someone tried to give me shit about Black History Month. The first time it was from an East African living in the UK. Dude was made we aint teach African History during our black history month. He basically felt some type a way saying black Americans be ignoring African history and since the world mainly looks at us, we should help spread African history. Like Bruh, how bout Africans pick a month and do that.

Meh...I learned about Nelson Mandela, Garvey, Biko, etc during black history month...
That's exactly my point. They don't matter in the scheme of the month. Around here the month is different, it's an emphasis on what could otherwise be forgotten or washed or white washed to the wayside. This month is usually where the literature teachers crank down on Langston Hughes, The Birmingham Letter, and Malcolm X's memoir.

In my schools extra credit was given for reading his autobiography in middle school. For the lower grades this month would be their scheduled visits to the the slavery museum or African American history museum. For the upper classes 6-12 this month would be spent covering the controversial and less notable topics from The panthers and Cointel, to Fred Hamptons assassination, The planning of Rosa Parks bus sitting and the attempt made before her, or the L.A. Riots and the effect they had on every race other than white people.. Black wall street would be briefly covered for those who had yet to hear it.

Projects covering George Washington Carver, Madam C.J Walker, and the like were FAILING GRADES teachers urged students to expand their horizons as a way of nudging them into the seldom visited sections of the library to implant the idea that the curriculum was not absolute. It was not all encompassing, it failed to expound on certain topics and that there were things still to be uncovered and all the information is there should they be vigilant and seek it out.

The month was about Black Americans we did not discuss Africa or South America or The Caribbean in any detail. Their history was not a priority, critical thinking and knowledge were the only things stressed. It was designated time specifically for the overlooked portions (mostly intentional) of American history that concerned black people. I distinctly remember a teacher telling us "anybody can be a nigga, anybody can be educated, but only an informed american could be at peace"

It is. But Black History Month mostly focuses on Black Americans because it was created by Americans.

The HR was one of the greatest African achievements in the entire world. First fully successful slave revolt in history is something to be proud of. The ancient Romans, Germans, Slavs, and other enslaved couldn't do that. But African people could.

Only too bad Haiti took a beating after due to lack of leaders and no external assistance. If they had, the whole island could've been united.

Haiti will be successful one day... They haven't stopped fighting.

DR currently building a wall to keep out Haitians. yet them niggas stay hiring Haitians for cheap labor. shit is foul.
DR is a wreck in itself. Better than Haiti but still ass. Alot of these mfs have the audacity to hate niggas and probably got plenty of Black ancestors.

Theres a ton of reasons. One reason is that world powers made sure to keep Haiti under economic embargos and the country never developed. At the moment they are one of the poorest and most under developed countries in the world.

They dont have money to market the country. No department of tourism. The list goes on.

Yeah Haiti got screwed for fighting and winning their independence.

It's really sad some of the stuff they had to endure over the years, from France helping to destroy the soil and heavy deforestation to other countries damm near shunning them. Sad stuff

That's exactly my point. They don't matter in the scheme of the month. Around here the month is different, it's an emphasis on what could otherwise be forgotten or washed or white washed to the wayside. This month is usually where the literature teachers crank down on Langston Hughes, The Birmingham Letter, and Malcolm X's memoir.

In my schools extra credit was given for reading his autobiography in middle school. For the lower grades this month would be their scheduled visits to the the slavery museum or African American history museum. For the upper classes 6-12 this month would be spent covering the controversial and less notable topics from The panthers and Cointel, to Fred Hamptons assassination, The planning of Rosa Parks bus sitting and the attempt made before her, or the L.A. Riots and the effect they had on every race other than white people.. Black wall street would be briefly covered for those who had yet to hear it.

Projects covering George Washington Carver, Madam C.J Walker, and the like were FAILING GRADES teachers urged students to expand their horizons as a way of nudging them into the seldom visited sections of the library to implant the idea that the curriculum was not absolute. It was not all encompassing, it failed to expound on certain topics and that there were things still to be uncovered and all the information is there should they be vigilant and seek it out.

The month was about Black Americans we did not discuss Africa or South America or The Caribbean in any detail. Their history was not a priority, critical thinking and knowledge were the only things stressed. It was designated time specifically for the overlooked portions (mostly intentional) of American history that concerned black people. I distinctly remember a teacher telling us "anybody can be a nigga, anybody can be educated, but only an informed american could be at peace"
Maybe that's how it happened where you from, but I learned about black ppl from all over the diaspora during black history month when I was growing up. Of course it was more american based because we're in America, but you'd be hard pressed to find american black ppl that say we shouldn't learn about the ppl I mentioned in February. If you contributed to black culture and the empowerment of blacks, you should get shine in February.

U can start with the volatility of Haitian leadership and political structure

I think something like the next 15 leaders following the revolution were forcibly removed from power with a few literally getting chopped up in the street.

then factor in dickheads like Baron Samedi ( I love this nickname) who played the US into giving him crazy aid money then spent it on bs....he s not the only one either

but the US and other slave owning nations were afraid that the Haitian revolution would lead to revolutions elsewhere so they conspired to not only bottle the information but make sure Haiti did not prosper post revolution

This was so not coherent I just woke up

Yeah Haiti soil is wrecked,you can see it from satellite images from outer space.

Haiti doesn't have a stock market

The Dominican stock market is called La Bolsa de Valores (BVRD)

That's why the Haitian economy is in the condition it's in while the Dominican economy is somewhat stable.

Maybe that's how it happened where you from, but I learned about black ppl from all over the diaspora during black history month when I was growing up. Of course it was more american based because we're in America, but you'd be hard pressed to find american black ppl that say we shouldn't learn about the ppl I mentioned in February. If you contributed to black culture and the empowerment of blacks, you should get shine in February.
You'd be the first person I interacted with to say that though. Everyone I can recall discussing this with had similar experiences. American tradition that focuses on Americans and all other contributors, while important are footnotes during the month and are covered at a different time.

Last edited:
This is one reason why FBA should not be ashamed to define themselves.
There are people within immigrant communities/families that have the same attitude as the thread starter.

lol at others not respecting the Haitian revolution didn’t Haitians literally murder Jean Jacques Dessalines in the street

let me confirm hold on

Should be noted that the one who started the thread got banned (temporarily I believe) .......so y'all won't be hearing from him for a while.

Haiti doesn't have a stock market

The Dominican stock market is called La Bolsa de Valores (BVRD)

That's why the Haitian economy is in the condition it's in while the Dominican economy is somewhat stable.

I just found out that the Haitian Stock Exchange was founded in 2007. It's called The Haitian Stock Exchange or HSE.

So they've been free for 200+ years and founded their stock exchange 15 years ago.

Back